Middle East and North Africa Internship
PartnersGlobal (previously Partners for Democratic Change), established in 1989, is an international, non-governmental organization committed to building sustainable capacity to advance democratic institutions, civil society, and a culture of peaceful change and conflict management worldwide. PartnersGlobal specializes in organizational development and social entrepreneurship, having provided the seed capital and technical assistance to establish 19 independent, local Centers around the world.
PartnersGlobal adheres to the values of participatory decision-making, collaboration, and consensus-building as the fundamentals of an inclusive, democratic society; and, we promote the application of these skills in all aspects of our work. The PartnersGlobal team includes process experts, facilitators, and trainers who apply those collaborative skills to achieve concrete results in technical areas such as the rule of law, women's empowerment, security sector reform, and natural resource management. The Partners Network is renowned for undertaking cutting edge work and applying our process expertise to convene disparate parties to jointly tackle some of the most complex development challenges.
The Middle East and North Africa (MENA) team in Washington D.C. advances these goals by working on conflict resolution and mitigation, youth engagement, transitional justice, and civil society strengthening and capacity development with projects that span Iraq, Yemen, and the Gulf region.
We are looking for a dynamic individual to join us as a MENA Intern to assist with programmatic support, proposal development and program design efforts, and communications and outreach. PartnersGlobal is committed to fostering a vibrant learning and professional development atmosphere. We provide mentorship and hands-on support to develop new skillsets and relevant experiences for those interested in the fields of international development and conflict resolution. As a Summer Intern with the MENA team, you will be provided an opportunity to work with the team and wider Partners staff of process and thematic experts both in Washington, DC and throughout the MENA region.
Learning opportunities include:
- Develop your project management skills by providing programmatic and logistical support for organizational capacity building and civil society strengthening initiatives in Yemen on the Support for Training, Advocacy, and Network Development (STAND) and Local Engagement for Advocacy and Dialogue (LEAD) projects and social cohesion and conflict management with internally displaced persons in Iraq on the ARIL project;
- Gain a better understanding of the process and nuances of fundraising through conducting background research on new opportunities, identifying donor priorities, and assisting with donor engagement;
- Increase your knowledge of country contexts through providing editing support for reports, presentations, and other key program documents and tracking trending news and policy topics and updating the team on current events in all priority countries (Iraq, Yemen, Lebanon, Tunisia, Kuwait, Jordan, and Bahrain);
- Familiarize yourself with event planning processes, such as providing support to event and meeting management, preparing invitation mailing lists, contributing content, tracking RSVPs, and handling all catering and space logistics;
- Attend conferences, trainings, and meetings to increase visibility and promote Partners' work, and capitalize on networking opportunities; and
- Build your content management skills by developing and updating MENA communications materials such as website updates, impact flyers, and program one-pagers for outreach and networking activities.
Qualifications: The ideal prospective candidate is a graduate student or recent college graduate with demonstrated interest, work experience, and/or academic study in the MENA region, and/or democratic governance, conflict resolution or international development; exceptional English language, research, writing, and editing skills; excellent interpersonal skills; and an insatiable desire to learn. Arabic language skills are required.
To Apply: Please fill out the PartnersGlobal Employment Application by Friday, April 7th and attach a resume, cover letter, and writing sample (maximum 1,000 words). Remember to indicate that you are applying for the position of MENA Intern. No phone calls please. Partners will contact applicants for an interview or to request additional information.
PartnersGlobal is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on sex, gender, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, pregnancy, marital status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.