Teaching & Learning Internship
TEACHING & LEARNING INTERNSHIP
Full Time: Summer 2017 (May—August)
10/20 hours a week: Fall 2017 (September—December) | Flexible start dates.
Center for Inspired Teaching, a Washington, DC based nonprofit education organization, is seeking a Teaching & Learning Intern to support the Inspired Teacher Certification Program. Through this program, Inspired Teaching Fellows are prepared for a successful and sustainable careers as a teachers and changemakers in Washington, DC while earning a DC teaching license and a Master of Arts in Teaching. This position requires supporting the successful implementation of the Summer Experiences for the Inspired Teaching Fellows, with possibility of extension into the Fall.
Inspired Teaching also seeks a Teaching & Learning Intern to support our summer in-service teacher training. Interns in both programs have the same summer responsibilities, but work with different staff and participants.
Interns are key members of Inspired Teaching and this internship provides an abundance of opportunities for learning-by-doing. Interns interface with teachers, school leaders, community partners, stakeholders, and students. Interns work with a team of professionals experienced in education, successful program implementation, communication, development, research, and providing teachers with the skills that will help them succeed.
Interns serve as a logistical and programmatic support for our programs. Responsibilities may include:
- Supporting the Teaching & Learning Coordinator in preparation and packing of materials, binders, handbooks, and other necessary organization for summer experiences.
- Managing materials, supplies, and logistical needs throughout the summer, to ensure a successful summer institute and summer teaching practicum.
- Troubleshooting logistical or technological issues as they arise.
- Participating in morning meetings and afternoon debriefs with staff and assessing and preparing what is needed for the current day or next day's training.
- Participating in activities and providing support to participants.
Fall (Teacher Certification Program):
- Updating files for Inspired Teaching Fellows on an as needed basis.
- Supporting the transition of Fellows from summer institute to their residency schools.
- Researching content for the department's monthly e-newsletter.
- Organizing and providing data on participants, as needed.
- Researching and supporting the implementation of innovative professional development tools and strategies.
- Supporting the implementation of the 2017-2018 recruitment plan, including outreach and research.
- Providing general administrative support to the organization, and other duties as assigned.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to juggle and prioritize many tasks and responsibilities at one time.
- Interest in and commitment to education and working with urban youth.
- Self-motivated, with a strong capacity for independent work with a great attention to detail.
- Possess the ability to set and meet his/her own deadlines.
- Comfortable acting quickly when presented with unexpected tasks.
- Knowledge and comfort with Microsoft Office suite.
Center for Inspired Teaching is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are committed to a diverse workplace.