Human Resources Intern - Summer 2017
4 days left
- Full Time
Results for Development (R4D) is a global nonprofit organization working with partners in more than 55 countries to find new ways to help people escape poverty and reach their full potential. We apply fresh thinking and rigor to emerging and stubborn development challenges—particularly within the fields of health, education and governance—and we pioneer and advance creative, high-impact solutions. Our Innovations and Technology teams build digital platforms and networks that connect people and ideas to make global development smarter, faster, and more efficient.
R4D is seeking a creative, extremely organized and enthusiastic Human Resources Intern for the Summer 2017 semester. Reporting to the Sr. Recruitment and Talent Management Officer, the HR Intern will work directly with R4D's growing HR team on a variety of on-going and new projects related to HR compliance, recruitment and retention, social media sourcing, new employee onboarding/orientation, employee benefits, employee performance management program and more.
Compensation and Length of Internship:
This is a paid internship and R4D interns will receive and hourly rate of $11.50. This HR Internship will be for a period of up to six (6) months and will be based in Washington, DC. The HR Intern will report to the Sr. Recruitment and Talent Management Officer.
This internship is designed to be both educational and practical and provides a unique opportunity to gain valuable experience related to HR and recruiting functions within a young, vibrant and rapidly growing international non-profit organization. In this position, the HR Intern will have the opportunity to enhance and further develop their skills and understanding of HR and its interactions with domestic and international employees, programs and other support services departments in order to foster a positive and successful work environment.
Responsibilities:Responsibilities will encompass a range and variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Support the HR Associate, HR Manager, and Chief People Officer with:
- Creation and maintenance of personnel files
- Track OFCCP compliance pieces through third party vendor
- Help organize and prepare materials for all staff training sessions related to FSA, new policies, focus groups etc.
- Assist in researching, drafting and editing new policies, processes and/or initiatives rolled out by the Chief People Office and HR Manager
- Research federal and local legislative changes to labor laws to keep abreast of changes
- Assist in the establishment of international offices by researching local laws, local benefits, immigration, work permit and visa requirements
- Assist with the Employee Rewards and Recognition program
- Work with HR Associate to update bi-weekly "Inside R4D" communication with HR updates, new employees, announcements etc. as
- Support the Sr. Recruitment & Talent Management Officer with full-lifecycle recruitment process, including:
- Create Job Requisitions (JRs) in new ATS (Cornerstone)
- Review and edit Job Descriptions (JD); Advertise/post JDs to R4D website and other applicable job boards
- Join In-Take meetings; Sit in on initial Phone Screen interviews; Schedule logistics for shortlisted candidates
- Screen applicants in new ATS (Cornerstone) and create shortlist to send to Hiring Managers for review
- Passive candidate sourcing in Cornerstone and via other social media outlets (i.e. Devex, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Daily management support of ATS (Cornerstone) and applicant workflow in system
- Assist with annual EEO and AAP compliance tracking, as needed
- Update candidate pipeline tracker with top talent and help grow/diversify candidate talent pool
- Work with the Communications Team to put together relevant/updated material for career fairs
- Research HR, recruitment and talent management trends and anticipated needs
- Assist with the development and organization of HR and recruitment related training programs for staff
- Assist with the on-boarding and orientation of new hires
- Communicate with third party vendors; Processing of invoices; Manage/support database entries and running of reports in ADP, as needed
- Run reports in Cornerstone for job requisitions (JRs)
- Support the initiation of background checks for new hires
- Collecting feedback from new hires on Candidate Experience
- Track and register for upcoming career fairs
- Schedule events, meetings, trainings and compile relevant materials in preparation
- Support the management of the HR and Recruitment workspaces on R4D's new Intranet
- Update announcements, templates and policies as needed and upload to Intranet
- Support growth of Diversity and Inclusion initiatives at R4D
- Provide other ad-hoc administrative support to HR team members
Successful applicants will have basic knowledge and previous experience having worked in recruiting and Human Resources and bring with them creativity, enthusiasm, excellent attention to detail and innovative thinking related to strategic recruitment and HR. Transitioning military personnel encouraged to apply
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in a graduate degree program or have recently graduated with a graduate level degree related to HR, International HR or related fields, and have less than 2 years of work experience.
- Interns are expected to work between 20 and 40 hours a week during the 3-month internship period.
- MA / MS in Human Resources, Labor Relations, International HR or related field of study;
- Currently enrolled in a graduate degree program or a recent graduate with degree in related field of study
- Previous experience with Cornerstone Applicant Tracking System (ATS) and ADP highly desired
- Interest in and knowledge of Human Resources, or non-profit management/administrative fields
- Excellent attention to detail and multitasking skills with the ability to efficiently work in a fast paced and growing environment
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, and exceptional attention to detail with the ability to switch between tasks/assignments seamlessly
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint and Excel, etc.)
- One (1) year experience in an office environment preferred
Educational Objectives: What you will learn during this internship?
The HR Intern will gain the following educational knowledge and training by the end of their internship:
- The importance of employment law and compliance, especially regarding employment eligibility, confidentiality, proper maintenance of employee files, and forms management
- Recruitment and Hiring: Sourcing passive talent; Creating and editing Job Descriptions (JDs); Targeting advertising sites; Reviewing resumes; Conducting phone and in-person interviews; Communicating with candidates; On-boarding and candidate experience; Coordinating interview logistics; Creating and extending offers; OFCCP compliance
- HR and the Interrelationships with other support departments: The interrelationship of HR and Finance in the areas of new employee paperwork, payroll issues related to onboarding and termination, use of a payroll management database, and report generation
- Employee Benefits Management: Managing technical related to issues to plan renewals and open enrollment; Benefits enrollment and termination; Troubleshooting employee benefits issues; and the customer service aspect of benefits oversight
Awarding academic credit for an internship is at the discretion of your college or university. We are happy to assist you with providing appropriate information at your school's request. Interns are responsible for making all arrangements for earning credit prior to the commencement of their internship.