Entry-Level Meeting Planner
SmithBucklin, a 100 percent employee-owned association management company, is looking for an Entry-Level Meeting & Event Planner to join our team in Washington, DC. Our Event Services unit provides meeting, convention, event and tradeshow management worldwide through the expertise of our meeting professionals, who manage every facet and detail of our client organizations' events. Our goal is to work closely with a client organization's leaders to create an enjoyable conference experience for all attendees, exhibitors and sponsors, while ensuring a successful outcome based on the organizations' event objectives.
What You Will Do
- Assist and contribute to the planning of meetings, events, tradeshows and registration (e.g. pre-show mailings, exhibitor customer service, searches for future sites, supplier coordination, sponsor fulfillment and tracking, sponsor correspondence, clerical support and post event support and evaluations)
- Handle financial reconciliation, to include processing invoices, collecting past-due payments and reconciling monthly with our accounting team
- Prepare statistical reports
- Ensure accurate and timely entering of records and information into database system for registration or exhibitor database
- Assist with planning responsibilities for multiple clients and meetings
- Facilitate continuous communication between SmithBucklin units, clients and exhibitors/sponsors, attendees, and suppliers to meet the needs of client organizations
- Oversee and manage temporary staff (data entry, filing, etc.)
This Role Might Be for You If…
- You are highly detail oriented with strong multi-tasking and time management skills, including the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks conforming to shifting priorities, demands and timelines
- You have the ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- You have applicable analytical and problem-solving skills
- You possess strong written and oral communication skills
- You have strong interpersonal skills and a high degree of responsibility, initiative and professionalism
- You have demonstrated customer service skills (phone skills, in person, email)
- You have the ability to lift 40 pounds
- You have the ability to travel 25%, both domestic and international, and work overtime as needed to attend events and client meetings (may include weekends)
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year institution
- 0-1 year of relevant professional experience
- 6-12 months of experience in a corporate event planning environment is a plus
- Proficiency with basic computer programming, including the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Where Do You Fit?
Whether you are just beginning your career or are a mid- or senior-level professional, working at SmithBucklin will offer you countless opportunities to develop transferrable skills, acquire meaningful knowledge and gain rich experiences at an accelerated pace. By working collaboratively with smart, ambitious, multi-talented, genuine and hardworking colleagues, you will build meaningful, deep and enduring relationships that will serve you well throughout your career, regardless of your chosen path. In addition, as a 100 percent employee-owned company, SmithBucklin offers all of our people - regardless of position or compensation - an equal chance to experience the fulfillment and reap the benefits of ownership. As owners, our employees control the destiny of SmithBucklin and are unified in the goal of building a great, enduring company.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At SmithBucklin Corporation, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation based on position.