Research Associate II - Naval Medical Research Unit
* Assist with collection of supporting documentation for contract packages , IACUC/IRB protocols for projects performed under this contract, research proposals and protocols, manuscripts, SOP’s, reports and presentation editing/review. Assists in initiating and maintaining regulatory IACUC/IRB requirements.
* Ability to develop and coordinate the implementation of clinical research studies, including regulatory requirements, maintenance of study records and all activities associated with internal and external audits.
* Assist in preparation of purchase requests for animal procurement and coordination of shipping procedures.
* Assist in preparation of purchase requests and assist with maintenance of inventory of supplies.
* Modify and plan research experiment schedules, procedures, and tests.
* Ability to develop, organize and maintain the study database. Responsible for data validation and quality control.
* Writes and edits research material for publication and presentation.
* Oversees the work of junior level contract personnel.
* Assit PI in tracking and updating established project budgets.
* Under supervision of senior technical staff, optimize and execute laboratory assays for development of novel treatments and diagnostics in the field of maxillofacial injury and disease;
* Collect and analyze data from experiments involving use of in vitro and in vivo models;
* Assist in preparation of protocols, technical reports, data summaries, manuscripts, and presentations;
* Provide data summaries at project meetings;
* Perform general laboratory support tasks such as preparing SOPs, maintaining clear and accurate laboratory records and inventories, routine biosafety procedures to maintain compliance with established laboratory safety rules, and maintaining supply inventory.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Routine microbiology procedures for growing, quantifying, and imaging planktonic and biofilm cultures
* Mammalian cell culture and microtiter plate viability assays
* Cellular quantitation and imaging methods including immunohistochemistry, FISH, fluorescence and confocal microscopy, and flow cytometry
* Basic molecular biology techniques such as protein/RNA/DNA isolation/extraction, ELISA, SDS and agarose gel electrophoresis, Western blotting, and real-time RT-PCR
* Experience with nanoparticle synthesis, coating, conjugation, and characterization is a plus
* Experience with in vivo models
* Ability to make and record detailed observations and troubleshoot technical procedures
* Ability to perform basic statistics and mathematical calculations
* Experience in using MSWord, MSPowerPoint, MSExcel spreadsheets, and graphing software such as GraphPad Prism or SigmaPlot
BS/MS in microbiology, biology, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, or molecular biology. MS is strongly preferred.
2-5 years of related experience in scientific research and analysis.
MS with 2+ years of laboratory experience or BS with 6+ years of laboratory experience.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.