Assistant Director of Legal Advocacy
Position Summary: The Assistant Director of Legal Advocacy will be responsible for leading Advancing Justice-AAJC’s amicus practice, including tracking impact litigation and working in alliance with other local and national partners to submit amicus briefs in appropriate cases in support of the policy priorities of the organization. Key areas of recent activity have included immigration, voting rights, language access, and affirmative action. The Assistant Director of Legal Advocacy will also work with senior staff and the executive team to strategically develop its litigation capacity. The Assistant Director of Legal Advocacy will also work with counterparts in the Advancing Justice affiliation to ensure alignment with our litigation strategies and to maximize the effectiveness of our collective endeavors.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated interest in civil rights and human rights at the national and local level. The candidate must have the ability to analyze and make recommendations on immigration, voting rights, and other legal issues affecting Asian American communities. The Assistant Director for Legal Advocacy will work closely with a diverse range of constituents, including legal and policy staff at the Advancing Justice affiliates, pro bono counsel, and other local and national groups. The candidate must have excellent writing and communication skills to bring diverse coalitions together and to ensure alignment with litigation and policy strategies across many interested parties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor and track Supreme Court and other impact litigation on emerging cases that affect Asian American communities to identify opportunities for legal advocacy in support of Advancing Justice-AAJC’s policy priorities.
- Work with local and national partners to develop amicus brief opportunities and strategies; analyze amicus sign-on opportunities and make recommendations for joining briefs.
- Develop and foster relationships with pro bono firms and counsel.
- Coordinate with pro bono counsel in drafting amicus briefs, including providing research and writing support where necessary.
- Draft summaries, memos, and talking points to alert partners about Advancing Justice-AAJC amicus brief opportunities and handle outreach to signatory groups.
- Develop ways to contribute to and strategically support impact litigation in non-amicus capacity.
- Develop and maintain extensive advocacy and coalition relationships with the Asian American and the Washington, D.C. legal and non-legal civil rights communities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Organizational Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Act as thought partner to senior staff and Vice President, Policy and Programs in strategic development of Advancing Justice-AAJC’s amicus practice and litigation capacity.
- Work closely with the executive team and organization staff in setting budgets, program goals and strategies, advancing new ideas and innovation that align with our organizational mission and strategic plan.
- Work closely with the executive team, to share responsibility to spearhead cross-affiliate initiatives amongst our internal divisions.
- Work closely with Advancing Justice-AAJC’s communications team to draft press releases, op-eds, and blog posts and respond to media inquiries about pending Supreme Court and circuit cases.
The full position description can be found at: http://advancingjustice-aajc.org/job/assistant-director-legal-advocacy
Apply for Assistant Director of Legal Advocacy
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly