Corporate Communications Coordinator
The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) is a consortium of 40 US institutions and 4 international affiliates that operates world-class astronomical observatories. AURA’s role is to establish, nurture, and promote public observatories and facilities that advance innovative astronomical research. AURA is responsible for managing the operations of the Gemini Observatory, the National Optical Astronomical Observatory, the National Solar Observatory, the Space Telescope Science Institute, and the construction of the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope and the Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope.
We are currently seeking a Corporate Communications Coordinator. The position may be located in either our Washington D.C. or Baltimore, Maryland offices.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, the Corporate Communications Coordinator will be responsible for efforts to execute communications initiatives and manage communications processes. The Coordinator will play a central role in the management of systems and the production of copy for use in social media, outreach and corporate communications materials. In addition, the successful candidate will oversee and/or provide assistance to members of the AURA team on a range of initiatives, including projects sourced in the Corporate Office and AURA Centers, as they relate to and overlap with the objectives of the communications goals. Responsibilities include:
- Curating AURA social media including AURA Facebook page, website, and twitter feed to disseminate science results;
- Preparing and copy-editing corporate communications and presentations;
- Working with AURA Center Public Outreach staff to ensure effective science communication at the Corporate level;
- Facilitating shared educational science opportunities and maximizing AURA representation at education-related meetings (NSTA, AAPT, etc.) with AURA Centers’ education staff;
- Developing and maintaining Corporate science communication products that may include hand-outs, lithographs, display materials for science meetings, etc.;
- Managing the development and updating of AURA’s print collateral (brochures, booth, banners, etc.);
- Coordinating AURA news releases and press inquiries; and
- Assisting with updating and content creation for AURA-related websites (like http://www.hdstvision.org).
The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree and 5-8 years of prior related experience. Additionally, they will demonstrate:
- Proven knowledge in print media and online communications, including social media;
- Capacity to continuously develop knowledge and skills related to use of rapidly changing technology;
- Strong inter-personal skills;
- Strong presentation skills as well as exceptional analytical and reasoning abilities;
- Strong skills and experience with Word, PowerPoint, Keynote, Excel;
- Photoshop and video editing skills;
- Exceptional written, copywriting, verbal and listening communication skills; and
- Direct experience working for a non-profit organization delivering services to the Federal government is strongly preferred.
AURA offers an excellent benefits package, competitive salaries, and a stimulating work environment. Interested candidates are requested to complete an on-line application through our website at www.stsci.edu/jobs or the “Apply Online” link at the bottom of this posting. Please upload one PDF document resume and cover letter Please include job #17-0057 in the filename. Applications received by April 10, 2017 will receive full consideration.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at http://www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp.
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection and to assist us in our record keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org EOE/AA/M/F/D/V