Nurse Specialist (Wound Care)
1 day left
- Full Time
The President has ordered a government-wide hiring freeze subject to certain limited exceptions. This position is subject to the hiring freeze. Although we are moving forward with the consideration of candidates, we will not make a selection for this vacancy announcement unless and until the position is no longer subject to the hiring freeze.
If you applied on vacancy announcement NCJT178681401909908, you must re-apply on this announcement to be considered.
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
Parking at WRNMMC is very limited and is primarily first come, first serve. The use of commuting alternatives is highly recommended. The Mass Transit Fringe Benefits (MTFB) are available to Federal Civilian employees. This is in addition to the current salary, up to $125 per month (subject to change), for the community costs using Mass Transit. MTFB can be applied to rail, bus and/or approved vanpools but not parking costs.
About the Position:
This position is located at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD, in the Directorate of Nursing, Department of Clinical Education, Infection Control.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Prolonged periods of walking and standing, as well as the recurring requirements to lift, bend and stoop; for example, in helping patients before and after surgery.
WORK ENVIORNMENT: Work is performed in a hospital where exposure to contagious and infectious disease is common.
Who May Apply:
Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) - Civilian Employee (non-Army)
- Current Civilian Employee with the Department of the Army
- Current Permanent Federal Civilian Employee (non-DOD)
- Former Federal Employee, eligible for reinstatement
- Eligible under Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA)
- Eligible under Veterans' Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA)
- Veterans with a service-connected disability of 30% or more
- Eligible for military spouse preference under Executive Order 13473
- Eligible for military spouse preference (registered in the Priority Placement Program for this location, job title, series, and grade)
- Eligible for family member appointment under Executive Order 12721
- Eligible for NAF/AAFES Interchange Agreement
- Eligible due to an Interchange Agreement
- Eligible due to prior employment with specific agencies
- Eligible for Persons with Disabilities
- Not Required
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Nurse Specialist (Wound Care):
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed.
Registration: An active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Experience: One year of experience which includes providing specialized nursing care to wound/ostomy patients; assessing wound care patients to determine nursing needs; coordinating patient's treatments with other health care members, clinics or outside medical facilities. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Ability to Communicate
- Knowledge of Nursing Procedures and Practices
- Skill in Applying Professional Nursing to Patients Requiring Wound/Ostomy Care
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-11).
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.
- This position is covered by the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Program. You are required to pass urinalysis testing, as required prior to appointment and periodically thereafter.
- This position requires the incumbent to satisfactorily complete a pre-employment physical examination.
This position requires the incumbent to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
- The incumbent will be required to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an "on call" basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
- Employees assigned to this position will be designated as Mission Essential and assume essential personnel status during inclement weather/emergencies.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
Advanced Wound Care Assessment skill preferred