2 days left
- Full Time
The President has ordered a government-wide hiring freeze subject to certain limited exceptions. This position is subject to the hiring freeze. Although we are moving forward with the consideration of candidates, we will not make a selection for this vacancy announcement unless and until the position is no longer subject to the hiring freeze.
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
Parking at WRNMMC is very limited and is primarily first come, first serve. The use of commuting alternatives is highly recommended. The Mass Transit Fringe Benefits (MTFB) are available to Federal Civilian employees. This is in addition to the current salary, up to $125 per month (subject to change), for the community costs using Mass Transit. MTFB can be applied to rail, bus and/or approved vanpools but not parking costs.
About the Position:
The position is as a Medical Surgical Registered Nurse on a 40 bed fast paced Medical-Surgical Orthopedic Inpatient ward. Patient care is delivered by the care team consisting of RN's, LPN's, and CNA's/Corpsmen/Medics according to patient acuity and nursing skill level.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Prolonged periods of walking and standing, as well as the recurring requirements to lift, bend and stoop; for example, in helping patients before and after surgery.
WORK ENVIORNMENT: Work is performed in a hospital where exposure to contagious and infectious disease is common.
Who May Apply:
All US Citizens and Nationals with allegiance to the United States.
- Not Required
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Clinical Nurse:
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed.
Registration: An active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Experience: One year of experience which includes performing professional nursing care duties to medical-surgical patients (i.e. wound care, pre/post operative care, patient administration; management of acutely ill patients) in an acute care hospital; completing comprehensive assessments; implementing/evaluating patient plan of care. This definition of experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-09).
Education: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration).
Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide the total number of completed graduate semester hours (or equivalent) beyond the second year (total graduate semester hours minus 36) by 18. Add the two percentages.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing. This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.
- This position is covered by the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Program. You are required to pass urinalysis testing, as required prior to appointment and periodically thereafter.
- This position requires the incumbent to satisfactorily complete a pre-employment physical examination.
This position requires the incumbent to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
- The incumbent will be required to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an "on call" basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
- Employees assigned to this position may be designated as Mission Essential and assume essential personnel status during inclement weather/emergencies.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.