Student Trainee (Visitor Use Assistant - Fee Collector)
Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service. Become a part of our mission to unite our past, our cultures and our special places, to establish important connections to the present and build a rich and lasting legacy for future generations. For more information about the National Park Service, visit http://www.nps.gov.
This position is located in the Division of Visitor Services at the Fort Washington, Oxon Cove and Piscataway National Parks in Prince George's County Maryland.
What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
This position is being filled under the Pathways Internship Program which is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid work opportunities in agencies to explore Federal careers while still in school.
What are the Eligibility Requirements?
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
- you must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the institution (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); and
- enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved homeschool; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum; and
- students must be in good standing according to their institution.
You must continue to meet these eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Program.
This position is temporary not to exceed 1 year. This position may be extended at the Park's discretion as long as the incumbent continues to meet the eligibility requirements under the Pathways Internship program.
This position has an anticipated
start date of AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. This positions is year round and students must be living in and going to school (in-person or online) in the local commuting area. Only preference eligible veterans will be considered from outside the local commuting area.
- Not Required
In order to qualify for this
position you must meet the following by the closing date of the vacancy
announcement: Friday, March 31, 2017
Be currently enrolled in a qualifying education institution AND
Have successfully completed 4 academic years of post-high school study leading to a bachelor's or equivalent degree
Please submit a legible copy of your college transcripts so that we can verify your coursework. It need not be an official transcript; however, if you are selected, you may be required to submit an official transcript prior to entering on duty. Failure to provide proof of CURRENT enrollment/acceptance will result in an incomplete application and you will not be considered further.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Appointment will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation. Under the requirements of the Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12), all new Federal Employees must pass a background investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- New employees of the Department of the Interior must identify a financial institution for direct deposit of net pay within 30 days of entrance on duty.
- NPS uniformed position. Employee will be required to wear a uniform and comply with National Park Service uniform standards.
- Applicants must possess and maintain a valid state driver's license or District of Columbia driver's license.
- This is not a drug tested position.
- Applicant must be able to work alternative work schedules, shift rotations, including night shift, holidays, and weekends.
- Trial/probationary period may be required.
- Incumbent will be required to work outdoors, often under adverse conditions.
Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
If selected you will be required to provide a letter of acceptance or proof of enrollment before entrance on duty.
Public Trust - Background Investigation