Dental Assistant (Expanded Function)
The President has ordered a government-wide hiring freeze subject to certain limited exceptions. This position is subject to the hiring freeze. Although we are moving forward with the consideration of candidates, we will not make a selection for this vacancy announcement unless and until the position is no longer subject to the hiring freeze.
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position:
The Dental Assistant (Expanded Function) position is located at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD. This position is in the Directorate for Dentistry, Department of Primary Dental Care.
Who May Apply:
All US Citizens and Nationals with allegiance to the United States.
- Not Required
- Relocation costs may be paid if the selecting official determines the relocation is in the best interest of the government.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Education and Training: Applicants for Dental Assistant (Expanded Function) positions must have completed 1 year of acceptable course work, preceptorship, or other formal training and/or work assignments specifically designed to equip them with knowledge and skills required to perform intra-oral procedures involved in the position to be filled. Examples of acceptable training are:
- Courses in a dental hygiene or dental assistant program accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Accreditation that are directly related to the intra-oral procedures (also referred to as expanded functions) that are to be performed in the position to be filled.
- U.S. Army's Dental Therapy Assistant Training Program.
- Continuing education courses in expanded functions for dental assistants offered by the Indian Health Service of the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Other training comparable to the above in private or government hospitals, clinics, or schools that included formal classroom instruction and clinical training in the knowledge and skills required to perform intra-oral procedures in the position to be filled. (Note: You must attach a copy of your transcripts.)
Radiology Certification: Public Law 97-35 requires that persons who administer radiologic procedures meet the credentialing standards in 42 CFR Part 75. Essentially, they must (l) have successfully completed an educational program that meets or exceeds the standards described in that regulation, and is accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, and (2) be certified as radiographers in their field. The following meet these requirements:
- Persons employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel prior to the effective date of the regulation (January 13, 1986) who show evidence of current or fully satisfactory performance or certification of such from a licensed practitioner such as a doctor of medicine, osteopathy, dentistry, podiatry, or chiropractic who prescribes radiologic procedures to others.
- Persons first employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel after the effective date of the regulation who (a) received training from institutions in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not accredit training in that particular field at the time of graduation, or (b) practiced in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not license that particular field or did not allow special eligibility to take a licensure examination for those who did not graduate from an accredited educational program, provided such persons show evidence of training, experience, and competence, as determined by OPM or the employing agency. Must provide a copy of Radiology Certification with application package.
Specialized Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as working in a dental facility packing and carving of amalgam restorations, the placement of composite restorations, and fabrication of temporary crowns. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-05).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone -- no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.