Youth Development Internship
Kid Power inspires youth leadership by promoting academic advancement, physical and emotional wellness, and positive civic engagement in underserved communities throughout the District of Columbia.
Kid Power is seeking Youth Development Interns to help execute summer leadership and enrichment programs for underserved youth throughout the District of Columbia. Interns will need to assist with program prep and implementation, classroom management, parent communication, curriculum development and implementation, recruitment, grant compliance, administrative/office functions, and serve as youth counselors and small group educators.
Youth Development Interns (20-40hr/wk. Flexible Schedule)
- Assist Senior Leadership Staff with preparation for camp programs including creating and compiling copies of curriculum, inventorying and prepping supplies, and managing student registrations/parent communication.
- Assist with camper recruitment by making calls to Kid Power alumni and recruiting in person at DC schools.
- Design templates for camp related documents.
- Create engaging curriculum and activities for students.
- Develop various rainy day and alternative plans for campers.
- Serve as a youth counselor during camp programming. Ensure that each student sets and tracks individual academic and behavioral goals. Provide for the safety and well-being of all youth participants
- Provide small group assistance to students during academic and enrichment programming, and serve as a chaperone on off-site field trips.
- Help to lead enrichment programming such as civics, nutrition, and interest related clubs.
- Adhere to Kid Power behavioral management system and implements consequences accordingly
- Assist with administrative tasks including data collection critical to grant reporting for school year and summer programs.
- Maintain professional relationship with all program partners on site and communicates with Kid Power senior staff whenever any issues arise
- Support senior staff in the program office during camp by assisting with all administrative tasks.
What You Will Receive:
- Youth Development/Education experience with high need youth.
- Quality training on Youth Development topics to enhance your skils.
- A transportation stipend to help with travel to program office and summer site.
- A letter of reccomendation, pending successful completion of the internship.
- Kid Power staff are happy to comply with reasonable requests for internship programs/school courses.
- Passion for youth development.
- Experience working directly with youth.
- Good organization and professional communication skills.
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team.
- Patience and a good sense of humor.
- Adaptability & flexibility.
- Willingness to work outdoors with youth in the heat of summer.
- Strong administrative skills and attention to detail.
The time commitment will vary between 20 - 40 hours per week based on the qualified applicants availability. Start and End Date may also be negotiated.
Kid Power is committed to ensuring that our interns have a memorable and rewarding experience. The intern will have tremendous flexibility to ensure that his/her skills, needs, and interests are met.