Supervisory Nurse (Clinical)
The President has ordered a government-wide hiring freeze subject to certain limited exceptions. This position is subject to the hiring freeze. Although we are moving forward with the consideration of candidates, we will not make a selection for this vacancy announcement unless and until the position is no longer subject to the hiring freeze.
If you applied on vacancy announcement NCJT177814431913728HM1, you must re-apply on this announcement to be considered.
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
Parking at WRNMMC is very limited and is primarily first come, first serve. The use of commuting alternatives is highly recommended. The Mass Transit Fringe Benefits (MTFB) are available to Federal Civilian employees. This is in addition to the current salary, up to $ 125 per month (subject to change), for the commuting costs using Mass Transit. MTFB can be applied to rail, bus and/or approved vanpools but not parking costs.
About the Position:
This position is located within Urology Trauma WW & Ortho Nursing at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Director for Nursing, Department of Surgical Nursing, (4C) located in Bethesda, MD. This is a 21 bed Adult Medical-Surgical Unit serving a variety of medical services including a specialty in the care of Urology, Orthopedic, Wounded Warrior and Trauma post-operative patients. First-line supervisor of staff members comprised or Army, Navy and Civilian personnel. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to administrative supervisory duties and the intermittent provision of patient care as Clinical Team Leader and Unit Charge as the schedule dictates the requirement.
Who May Apply:
All US Citizens and Nationals with allegiance to the United States.
- Not Required
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Supervisory Nurse (Clinical):
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed.
Registration: An active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: independently provide full range nursing care in a variety of medical services such as joint replacement, post-operative care, various medical-surgical and/or cardiac telemetry services; lead others in projects or assignments. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone -- no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- One year supervisory probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.
- This position requires you to satisfactorily complete a pre-employment physical examination.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Civilian Employee Drug-Free Workplace Program as a testing designated position (TDP).
- This position requires the incumbent to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
- This position requires the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an "on call" basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
- This position has been designated as Mission Essential and the incumbent must assume essential personnel status during inclement weather/emergencies.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.