The President has ordered a government-wide hiring freeze subject to certain limited exceptions. This position is subject to the hiring freeze. Although we are moving forward with the consideration of candidates, we will not make a selection for this vacancy announcement unless and until the position is no longer subject to the hiring freeze.
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position:
This Health Technician position is located at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in the Directorate for Dentistry in the Oral Maxillofacial department. This position will require walking, frequent bending, crouching and crawling to manipulate objects off the sterile field, reaching and stretching to set up and take apart equipment; lifting and positioning patients; and carrying, pushing, or pulling moderately heavy objects. Considerable manual dexterity is required when passing/receiving instruments and surgical materials. Requires the ability to stand for extended periods on a regular and recurring basis.
Who May Apply:
All US Citizens and Nationals with allegiance to the United States.
- Not Required
- Relocation costs may be paid if the selecting official determines the relocation is in the best interest of the government.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: preparing dental patients for surgical procedures; passing instruments to the surgeon during surgical procedures; monitor patients within the operating room; record medical information in patient charts; and inventory operating room supplies. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-06).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone -- no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Ability to Prepare Patients for Surgical Procedures
- Knowledge of Instruments and Complex Procedures
- Ability to Assist Surgeon During Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Skill in Patient Recovery
- Ability to Maintain Department Supplies
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.