Program Assistant Intern
6 days left
- Full Time
Description of Organization: NAMI Northern Virginia is a non-profit, volunteer-based organization. Our mission, as individuals, family members and friends affected by mental health conditions, is to serve our community through education, support and advocacy. NAMI Northern Virginia and our volunteers work together to raise awareness and bring hope through our programs and events. NAMI Northern Virginia serves the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, and Loudoun and the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, and Falls Church, Virginia.
Reports to: Program Director
Hours: 12-40 hours/week
NAMI Northern Virginia is accepting applications for:
- Fall/Winter 2017
- Winter/Spring 2018
General Function: Under the direction of the Program Director, the Program Assistant Intern will provide direct support for NAMI Northern Virginia's community education programs and events. Program Assistant Intern will have the opportunity to attend various educational programs, presentations, and training opportunities. Internship applicants must be undergraduate or Masters level student working towards degree in related field.
Specific Duties for Internship:
- Respond to requests from individuals who are interested in program participation and training opportunities. Create weekly report summarizing volunteer interest and follow-up status
- Assist with printing and preparation of materials for upcoming programs and events
- Gather program participant evaluation data and share with staff and program leaders as requested.
- Assist with program brochure inventory and ordering.
- Keep Go Boxes stocked and ready to use in the field.
- Assist with planning and promotion of events, including Youth Fest
- Serve as a NAMI Northern Virginia representative at community meetings and events
- Attend and assist with community education presentations, including "NAMI In Our Own Voice" and "NAMI Ending the Silence"
- Assist with supporting student-led mental health clubs and activities in schools
- Participate in staff meetings regarding community outreach and planning
Communications & Marketing:
- Assist with development of promotional flyers for upcoming programs and events
- Assist with social media outreach and youth-led campaign
- Option to participate in youth leadership training and other training opportunities through NAMI, NAMI Virginia, and NAMI Northern Virginia.
- Internship applicants must be undergraduate or Masters level student working towards degree in related field
- Commitment to NAMI Northern Virginia mission
- Experience with non-profit programs prefered for internship
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to demonstrate empathy and enthusiasm
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Team player and positive attitude
- Computer literacy: working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Database, Social Media
- Dependable transportation, and ability to travel to meetings in Northern Virginia
- Flexible schedule; occasional evening and weekend hours
- May be required to undergo Child Protective Services and criminal background checks