The President has ordered a government-wide hiring freeze subject to certain limited exceptions. This position is subject to the hiring freeze. Although we are moving forward with the consideration of candidates, we will not make a selection for this vacancy announcement unless and until the position is no longer subject to the hiring freeze.
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position: Practical Nurse position available within the Directorate for Nursing, Labor and Delivery (L&D), at the Fort Belvoir Community Hospital in Fort Belvoir, VA. PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work requires considerable and strenuous physical exertion, such as standing for long periods of time; recurring bending, stooping and stretching or similar activities. Employee may be required to lift objects greater than 50 pounds in positioning and moving adult and neonatal patients. WORK ENVIORNMENT: Work is performed in an environment that involves exposure to infections and discomforts, requiring normal and infection control safety measures. Special gloves, gowns or masks are required to be worn as safety precautions.
Who May Apply:
All US Citizens and Nationals with allegiance to the United States.
- Not Required
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job, such as: performing professional nursing duties in an in-patient setting, caring for post-operative patients; entering patient information into electronic medical records.
This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-05).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone -- no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Licensure: A current license to practice as a practical/vocational nurse in a State or territory of the United States or District of Columbia OR must have applied for a license to practice. Applications of candidates possessing a license must be accompanied by a certified or photo static copy of the license. Non-licensed candidates who have completed their training may be appointed subject to obtaining the required license during the probationary period. Those not licensed must furnish the date on which they applied for a license and the jurisdiction involved. No person appointed pending licensure may be retained beyond the probationary period if licensure has not been attained.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
· Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
· You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
· Two year trial/probationary period may be required. Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
· Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
· This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
· This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.
· This position requires you to satisfactorily complete a pre-employment physical examination.
· This position is covered by the Department of Defense Civilian Employee Drug-Free Workplace Program as a testing designated position (TDP).
· This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
· This position requires the incumbent to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
· This position has been designated as Mission Essential and the incumbent must assume essential personnel status during inclement weather/emergencies.
· This position requires the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an "on-call" basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.