Clinical Nurse (Critical Care)
The President has ordered a government-wide hiring freeze subject to certain limited exceptions. This position is subject to the hiring freeze. Although we are moving forward with the consideration of candidates, we will not make a selection for this vacancy announcement unless and until the position is no longer subject to the hiring freeze.
If you applied on vacancy announcement NCJT177894891913581HM1, you must re-apply on this announcement to be considered.
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position:
This position is located within the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at the Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Director of Nursing, Department of Med/Surg/Peds/ICU located in Fort Belvoir, VA. The ICU caters to patients with severe and life-threatening illnesses and injuries which require constant, close monitoring and support from specialist equipment and medications.
The work requires prolonged standing and walking, and frequent bending, stooping and lifting. The incumbent may also be required to physically restrain patients. Critically ill patients frequently require maximal physical assistance for movement/transfer, in or out of bed. Staff mobility is often restricted due to machinery/apparatus, which limits patient access for nursing-related activities. The work requires above average concentration and dexterity. Employee must maintain composure and effectiveness in high-stress emergent situations.
Who May Apply:
All US Citizens and Nationals with allegiance to the United States.
- Not Required
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Clinical Nurse (Critical Care):
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed.
Registration: An active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Experience: One year of experience which includes evaluating intensive care patients; administering nursing care to intensive care patients; recognizing complications in patients; and coordinating with other members of a critical care team. This definition of experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.
- This position requires you to satisfactorily complete a pre-employment physical examination.
- This position is covered by the Department of Defense Civilian Employee Drug-Free Workplace Program as a testing designated position (TDP).
- This position requires the incumbent to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an "on call" basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
- This position has been designated as Mission Essential and the incumbent must assume essential personnel status during inclement weather/emergencies.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.