Development and Communications Intern
DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS INTERN
The Education for Peace in Iraq Center (EPIC) is dedicated to helping Iraq build a more peaceful, sustainable, and democratic society. We seek to accomplish this by advocating policies that further Iraq's prospects for peace and democracy, and through youth programs and partnerships in Iraq that engage young people in creating a brighter future.
EPIC is seeking a highly qualified and motivated individual to fill the Summer 2017 Development and Communications Internship position.
Start date: May 30, 2017
End date: August 31, 2017
If you are a student, these dates can be negotiated to match your university's schedule. While we prefer full-time interns, part-time interns may be accepted based on availability.
As we work to implement our youth and peacebuilding initiatives in Iraq, our interns work closely with the Director of Development and Communications and the Executive Director in Washington, D.C. to carry out and maintain the necessary advocacy, research, fundraising, and administrative frameworks for those projects.
- Create dynamic and engaging written and multimedia content for EPIC's website, blog, social media outlets, and email communications
- Assist EPIC staff in the production of the IRAQ MATTERS podcast, including recording, editing, and promoting new episodes
- Regularly update website content and apply tools for Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Assist in creating and editing press releases, graphics, e-newsletters, and Wiki articles
- Assist the Communications Director with pitching stories to the news media and preparing colleagues for interviews
- Research prospective funding opportunities and assist in the development of written foundation and corporate proposals
- Assist in grassroots and grasstops advocacy.
- Coordinate and promote fundraising activities through online platforms to support our projects in the field
If you are looking for a challenging internship where you will see the results of your work, EPIC is the place for you. We highly encourage active dialogue and discussion about topics related to Iraq, the Middle East in general, U.S. foreign policy, and humanitarian relief efforts. Our interns receive as much from the program as they are willing to give.
- Demonstrated interest and familiarity with the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, especially Iraq, on humanitarian, security, and development issues
- Strong interest in non-profit management, organizational development, public affairs, issue advocacy, and/or international relations
- Excellent research and writing skills, with excellent attention to detail and the ability to process multiple tasks at once
- Ability to thoroughly research topics and find answers with limited instruction
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms, especially Facebook and Twitter
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, WordPress, Adobe Photoshop, and HTML
- Well-organized and able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Self-motivated, flexible, diligent, detail- and team-oriented
- Proficiency in Arabic is desired, but not required
- A sense of humor is a strong plus +
While this is an unpaid internship, travel stipends may be available on a case by case basis.
How to Apply
Submit a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 21, 2017. Please include the title of the internship for which you are applying (Development and Communications) and your name in the subject line. Preference will be given to recent grads and graduate students, but undergrads are strongly encouraged to apply.
EPIC is an equal opportunity employer.