Volunteer Engagement Intern
Job Title: Volunteer Engagement Intern
Reports to: Laura Bassett, Acting Director of Education
Casey Trees, a nonprofit dedicated to restoring, enhancing and protecting the tree canopy of Washington, D.C., seeks a Volunteer Engagement Intern to assist our Education team with volunteer programming and educational events.
- Assist with the preparation, and coordination of volunteer tree plantings, tree care and tree pruning events
- Be present at volunteer and education events; interact with Casey Trees constituents
- Assist in managing program registration and logistics of volunteer activities
- Prep communications with partners and volunteers
- Assist in management of volunteer programs
- Update volunteer tracking mechanisms
- Assist with the follow-up of volunteer events
- Assist in development of new volunteer and education programs.
- Be a representative of Casey Trees at events
- Assist with programming and education classes
- Other duties as assigned
- One-year experience with volunteer programming and strategic volunteer engagement
- Must be able to work with adults and children of varying ages
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have excellent organization skills
- Must love working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Strong Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) skills
- Enthusiastic with a positive attitude and strong work ethic; good sense of humor appreciated
- Demonstrated interest in Casey Trees' mission
- Prior experience in the nonprofit sector highly desirable
- Available to work evenings on occasion
This position works in an office environment and the outdoors. They will utilize the following equipment and shall have the following physical demands:
Technological Demands: Computer, IPad, printer/copier, cell phone, laminator and automobiles usage.
Outdoor Demands: Using shovels, pickaxes, knives, stake driver, buckets, hose, wire cutters, mulch bags, trees, hand pruners and other tools necessary for planting/ pruning or caring for trees.
Physical Demands: (Detail Specifics)
- Usage of equipment and lifting to plant trees with youth and adult volunteers.
- Working outside year round for various education and volunteer events and classes with youth and adults.
The physical demands and work environment described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Position duration and Compensation:
The position will start the as soon as possible in March 2017 and end in June 2017. This is a 32-40 hour per week position at $12-14 per hour commensurate with education and experience.
The Volunteer Engagement Intern will have a schedule that is mostly Tuesday through Saturday.
Please email the following items to Erica Young, Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com:
- Letter of interest
- Availability including start date
- Contact information for three references
Enter position title only into email subject line.
This position will close on Sunday, March 26. No telephone or email inquiries please.
Casey Trees is an Equal Opportunity Employer