Senior Policy Advisor
Under the direction of the Health Policy Director, the primary focus of this position is to analyze and advise the American Nurses Association (ANA) on registered nurse and advanced practice registered nurse scope of practice issues; manage complex projects; and utilize strategic policy analysis, nursing research and evidence-based practice as it applies to the advancement of ANA’s policy goals.
The focus of the Senior Policy Advisor role is to provide leadership between and among departments in the review of research, analysis of trends and issues, provision of consultative services to C/SNAs, OAs and ANA Enterprise staff, development of policy and practice position statements and white papers, and to disseminate meaningful information to ANA Enterprise Staff, and the broader nursing community, through effective communication, publication and presentations.
•Analyzes proposed legislation at the state and federal level for its impact on the scope of practice for the Registered Nurse and the Advance Practice Registered Nurse.
•Analyzes published research for purposes of integration and translation into practice and/or policy. Assumes accountability for the planning, direction, management and analysis of related activities.
•Analyzes proposed and final Federal agency rules and regulations (published in the Federal Register) that impact health care and the nursing profession. Assumes accountability for dissemination of information on proposed comment opportunity to ANA stakeholders (internal and external). Coordination on regulatory comment letters developed for submission by ANA and assumes accountability for planning, direction, management and analysis of related activities
•Identifies significant nomination opportunities published in the Federal Register. Assumes accountability for dissemination of information to ANA stakeholders (internal and external).
•Communicates knowledge through well-written papers, reports, articles, presentations and other communication venues in order to inform the work of the department, the association and the wider nursing community.
•Monitors current significant trends, issues and strategies related to assigned or related projects, policies, positions, issues and areas of expertise. Monitors and evaluates developments significant to health care policy and nursing practice.
•Provides and coordinates health policy and nursing practice consultative services for C/SNAs, Organizational Affiliates and ANA Enterprise staff, working in and leading cross collaborative teams within the Entity.
•Works collaboratively to prepare and develop policy and position statements, and legislative testimony, on nursing practice, healthcare issues and related topics.
•Writes and publishes materials for journals and other print materials including ANA publications. Identifies opportunities, develops and submits abstracts for poster and podium presentations. As requested, conducts news interviews and provides content to ANA leadership.
Education: Preference for RN, APRN or JD
Related Work Experience: Position requires ten or more years of demonstrated, high-level analysis, research, grant activity, publication, teaching, and/or practice in areas relevant to the position as demonstrated by a substantial record in several of the following areas: Publication work should include a significant, ongoing record of individual and co-authored work published in various outlets, including policy papers, research summaries, payment reviews, journals, chapters in books, monographs and book reviews. Association experience is highly desirable. Prior work with nurses or nursing groups on professional nursing issues strongly preferred. Evidence of collaboration with other health care disciplines strongly preferred.
1. Ability to rapidly analyze and explain complex nursing, and healthcare, and legal concepts in a clear and concise manner. Must be able to formulate, evaluate and explain related policies.
2. Evidence of effective public speaking at the state, regional, national or international level.
3. Proficiency in working with individuals with various backgrounds and levels of sophistication on nursing practice and health policy, including ANA staff, elected and appointed officials and other organizations.
4. Significant record of individual and/or co-authored publications in nursing and/or healthcare related journals.
5. Demonstrated ability to effectively lead projects and workgroups within and outside of the organization.
6. Strong proficiency with computer software including Microsoft software applications and other related software.
7. Demonstrated ability to independently prioritize and manage multiple high-level complex projects and complete within specified timeframes.
8. Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with staff at all levels and across organizational units.
9. Must understand and be able to provide guidance, advice and technical assistance for the review and formulation of federal legislative and regulatory proposals.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
•RN, APRN and or Juris Doctor strongly preferred.
•Evidence of advanced professional development, including but not limited to:
a.Provider of nursing or healthcare related academic or continuing education.
b.Track record of increasing responsibility in a work or volunteer capacity.
c.Formal experience in a consultant capacity, particularly in area of health care policy.
d.Legal experience in evaluating health care regulations, legislation and policy.
e.Demonstrated mentor experience(s) in an academic and/or work environment, including volunteer.