Instructional Systems Specialist
Department of Defense (DoD)
Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA)
DoDEA, through its Community Strategic Plan has made a commitment to be among the world's leaders in education, enriching the lives of military- connected students and the communities in which they live. The mission to educate, engage and empower each student to succeed in a dynamic world is achieved through its five strategic goals of Student, School, Talent, Organization, and Outreach Excellence.
DoDEA is a major Department of Defense (DoD) Field Activity with worldwide scope. DoDEA plans, directs, coordinates, and manages the education programs for DoD dependents. DoDEA consists of three regions, DoDEA Americas, DoDEA Europe, and DoDEA Pacific and a total of eight school districts located overseas and in the U.S. and its territories. DoDEA provides education to eligible DoD military and civilian dependents from pre-kindergarten through grade 12.
Visit our website at www.dodea.edu for more information!
If you are applying through Merit procedures, the following information applies to you:
All current and former Federal employees must submit a copy of your latest SF-50 showing your tenure, grade and step, and type of position occupied (i.e., Excepted or Competitive).
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: This announcement is open to: Current or Former Permanent Civilian Federal Employees in the Competitive Service; Displaced employees (Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan - ICTAP eligible) within the Local Commuting Area; and individuals eligible for the following Special Appointing Authorities approved by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM): Veterans with a disability rating of 30% or more, Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA) Eligible Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. (Click on the links for more information regarding eligibility for these special appointment authorities: http://archive.opm.gov/staffingPortal/Vetguide.asp#6 or www.opm.gov/disability.)
If you are applying through Delegated Examining Unit (DEU) procedures, the following information applies to you:
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: This announcement is open to: All U.S. Citizens
This is an obligated position for an employee with Statutory Return Rights.
- Occasional Travel
- The Incumbent may be required to travel by military and/or commercial aircraft to a variety of stateside and overseas locations for meetings and conferences.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Authorized
This position has a Basic Requirement for the 1750 series:
Degree: that included or was supplemented by at least 24 semester hours appropriate to the work of the position to be filled. The course work must have included study in at least four of the following five areas:
1. Learning theory, psychology of learning, educational psychology: Study of learning theories as they relate to the systematic design, development, and validation of instructional material.
2. Instructional design practices: Study of the principles and techniques used in designing training programs, developing design strategy and models, and applying design methods to the improvement of instructional effectiveness.
3. Educational evaluation: Study of the techniques for evaluating the effectiveness of instructional/educational programs, including developing written and performance tests and survey instruments, and determining reliability and validity of evaluation instruments.
4. Instructional product development: Study of the techniques appropriate for developing training materials, including identifying learner characteristics, specifying objectives, applying training strategy, validating training materials, and evaluating training.
5. Computers in education and training: Study of the application of computers in education and training, including selecting appropriate computer software. Some positions in this series may specialize in one or two functional areas, where more specific academic preparation may be necessary. For such positions, agencies may require course work in the applicable functional area(s) as part of the above-required 24 semester hours.
*NOTE: Failure to provide transcripts will result in you being rated ineligible for this position.
The experience described in your resume will be evaluated and screened from the Office of Personnel Management's (OPMs) basic qualifications requirements. See: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1700/instructional-systems-series-1750/ for OPM qualification standards, competencies and specialized experience needed to perform the duties of the position as described in the MAJOR DUTIES and QUALIFICATIONS sections of this announcement by Monday, April 03, 2017.
You must have one year Specialized Experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service (experience may have been gained in the private/military sector) giving the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position. Experience must be reflected in your resume.
Specialized experience required for this position is:
- Develops and conducts special pilot instructor workshops to ensure clear understanding of course design characteristics and rationale for new and updated curriculum and programs.
- Identifying training needs in various discipline area(s) of responsibility such as e-books and online curriculum.
- Develops monitoring plans based on implementation standards in order to ensure curriculum is being presented in a manner that is consistent with all required guidelines and regulations.
- Training curriculum liaisons, specialists and other leaders in methods for implementing and maintaining effective instruction and assessment both in the existing curriculum and in initiatives for curriculum improvement.
NOTE: Description of experience should be clearly reflected and supported on your resume, and/or supporting application documentation. Your documentation must accurately reflect that you possess the experience, knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to perform the duties of this position. Description of your experience and education should emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments with results of your actions, policy initiatives and level of contacts.
Specifically you will be evaluated on the following competencies
1.Knowledge of system wide effectiveness in the defined teaching area(s) by monitoring the implementation of curriculum/performance standards.
2.Knowledge to identify training needs in various discipline area(s) of responsibility such as e-books and online curriculum.
3.Ability to communicate orally and in writing to upper level management and senior officials.
Time-in-Grade Requirements: Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements for merit promotion consideration. Time-in-grade is the 52-week requirement Federal employees in competitive service, General Schedule (GS) positions at GS-5 and above must serve before they are eligible for promotion (advancement) to the next grade level. Applicants must meet the time-in-grade requirement within 30 days of the closing of this announcement and all other eligibility requirements including , time-after-competitive appointment, minimum qualifications, and any other regulatory requirements by the closing date of this announcement: Monday, April 03, 2017
Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at:
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
Foreign Education: For further information, click on the following link:
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time
TOUR OF DUTY: Flexible
RECRUITMENT INCENTIVES: Not Authorized
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT (FLSA): Exempt
FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: Not Required
TELEWORK ELIGIBILITY: This position is telework eligible
SELECTIVE SERVICE REQUIREMENT: Please visit https://www.sss.gov for more information.
Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at:
Delegated Examining -Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement upon its closing for up to 90 days.
Applicants selected from this announcement may be required to serve a two-year probationary period.
This is an obligated position for an employee with Statutory Return Rights and selectee will be required to acknowledge in writing.
All applicants must meet qualifications and eligibility criteria by the closing date of the announcement.