The President has ordered a government-wide hiring freeze subject to certain limited exceptions. This position is subject to the hiring freeze. Although we are moving forward with the consideration of candidates, we will not make a selection for this vacancy announcement unless and until the position is no longer subject to the hiring freeze.
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position:
This position is located at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD, in the Resource Management Department. The applicant will perform functions that support the mission in an office environment with several other staff members and will be providing assistance to patients, to include billing for services, collecting payments, and answering billing questions. The applicant will work with computer software to create records and bills for services rendered at the medical treatment facility.
This is a DOD Financial Management position. The incumbent must complete training and meet position requirements for certification at Level (1) within 2 years of appointment. Failure
to obtain and maintain this certification within the required time may subject the incumbent to adverse action.
Who May Apply:
All US Citizens and Nationals with allegiance to the United States.
- Occasional Travel
- 5% - Business travel
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: Work with patients and insurance companies regarding billings and payments. Identify discrepancies and provide solutions. Work with automated systems such as: General Fund Enterprise Business System (GFEBS), Composite Health Care System (CHCS), and/or Account Receivables Management System - Armed Forces Billing and Collection Utilization Solution (ABACUS). This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-06).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone -- no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Third Party Collection Program (TPCP)
- Knowledge of automated systems
- Knowledge of accounts receivable
- Knowledge of medical billing
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This is a DOD Financial Management position. The incumbent must complete training and meet position requirements for certification at Level (Insert Level Here) within 2 years of appointment. Failure to obtain and maintain this certification within the required time may subject the incumbent to adverse action.