Financial Support Specialist
The Financial Support Specialist performs a wide variety of financial and budget duties to support all aspects of the financial and budget operations of the Curriculum and Instruction department group; assists in the preparation, revision and monitoring of budgets for all funding sources including the operating fund, No Child Left Behind grants, IDEA VI-B, Virginia Preschool Initiatives, and other special revenue projects; provides appropriate budget guidance and financial support to department personnel and collaborate closely with the appropriate staff from the Financial Services department.; works collaboratively with all schools and departments.
This position reports to the Chief Academic Officer.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in job related area.
- Experience: Minimum 3 years of related work experience.
- Experience with K-12 financial management.
- Experience with grants financial management.
- Experience with public sector financial management.
- Supports the CAO in developing internal financial and budget management processes, procedures and internal controls to enhance information flow and maintain accurate records for assigned departments, offices, and grants.
- Manages the application process and reporting requirements of the Virginia Preschool Initiative grant and the Virginia Star Quality Initiative (formerly QRIS) grant.
- Supports all budget and financial requirements and issues related to the VPI and VSQI grants.
- Initiates, reviews and monitors all purchases for assigned departments, offices and grants, including purchase orders, procurement cards, and other purchase mechanisms.
- Runs and distributes online budget reports for all assigned departments, offices and grants within the Curriculum and Instruction group.
- Monitors account balances and related financial activity for all assigned Curriculum and Instruction departments, offices, and grants.
- Initiates budget transfers and journal entries as needed to ensure compliance with budget limits and correct and appropriate financial reporting.
- Ensures the timely processing of a variety of accounts receivable and payable documents as required to initiate reimbursement and/or payment in compliance with division policy, regulations, procedures, and relevant legal requirements.
- Monitors and reconciles monthly financial reports for assigned departments, offices and grants.
- Assists in position control and staffing reconciliation for assigned grants, departments, and offices.
- Assists in management, processing, and submission of supplemental, intermittent, and stipend payroll requests.
- Researches any discrepancy of financial information and communicates findings.
- Maintains appropriate audit trail of all financial transactions.
- Supports the Chief Academic Officer in the development and review of the annual budget submission for all assigned Curriculum and Instruction departments, offices, and grants.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Chief Academic Officer.