Principal Network Engineer - TS/SCI req'd
Responsible for the design and development of voice, video, radio-frequency, and/or data communications networks.
1. Analyzes voice, video, radio-frequency, and/or data communications networks, including planning, designing, evaluating, selecting, and upgrading operating systems and protocol suites and configuring communication media with concentrators, bridges, and other devices.
2. Plans network layouts and configures systems to user environments.
3. Analyzes network topologies and traffic and capacity requirements.
4. Supports the acquisition of hardware and software as well as subcontractor services as needed.
5. May provide technical support and troubleshooting to users.
6. May perform network administration duties.
7. Provides guidance and work leade rship to less-experienced network personnel and may have supervisory responsibilities.
8. May serve as technical team or task leader.
9. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
10. Participates in special projects as required.
11. Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
12. 8-10 years of directly related experience in network analysis and design.
Utilizes the ITILv3 processes and additional Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for event, incident, and configuration management on Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) and Internet Protocol/Multi-Protocol Label Switching (IP/MPLS) technigues.
Monitors and investigates Network Management System (NMS) Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) trap data and Syslog messages, troubleshoots network incidents, documents findings, remotely restores services/recommends fix actions, and dispatches maintenance to appropriate organizations if remote restoration is possible.
Coordinates and implements network changes in accordance with established communications maintenance activity (CMA) processes and procedures.
Performs traffic engineering (TE) by intelligently manipulating Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) metrics to temporarily alt-route Label Switched Path (LSP) traffic in the event of an incident or CMA.
Collects relevant information required for vendor Technical Assistance Cases (TACs) and provides engineered solutions where a temporary work around is feasible until failed hardware is processed via Return Maintenance Authorization (RMA).
Reports Situational Awareness (SA) information to the customer and works to identify business impact in conjunction with technical trouble ticketing documentation.
Maintains Job Qualification Standard (JQS) requirements and job certification with an implemented Annual Plan of Instruction (APOI) per customer direction in conjunction with DoDD 8570 Requirements.
Must possess appropriate, current DoD Information Assurance (IA) Certification to be considered for employment; either valid CompTIA Security+ CE OR CCNA-Security certification. Security+ CE Certification preferred. In addition, must attain the required DoD 8570 Computing Environment (CE) Certification within six (6) months of Hire Date.
Position also requires Networking/Router/Switch Certification in CCNP and/or JNCIP
As part of your role/function on the program, you will be granted privileged user access. Privileged Users are subject to greater scrutiny as a direct result of the significant responsibilities placed upon them. Please be aware that because of these critical duties, you will be subject to additional IT system monitoring, and supervisory evaluation to ensure continuous adherence to Privileged User processes and procedures. Privileged Users are subject to a zero tolerance policy for security violations.
Due to the sensitive nature of the work being done for this government client, all candidates must hold a TS/SCI and be willing to submit and pass a polygraph examination.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.