Duke-Margolis Health Policy Center
The Staff Assistant provides administrative assistance to Deputy Director of the Duke-Margolis Health Policy Center and the Washington, DC-based office, including management of busy calendar and travel schedule, office management, and light research. The Staff Assistant position is based in Washington DC.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as primary contact for Deputy Director.Receives and routes project and research-related phone calls; receives and disseminates information related to the project; responds to inquiries from the general public; receives, screens, and places calls for the Deputy Director; receives staff and visitors to the Deputy Director's office.
- Maintains and coordinates extensive daily calendar of the Deputy Director.Tracks regular external and internal meetings, keeps and updates meeting files. Anticipates needs of the Deputy Director and provides information regarding meeting requirements.
- Schedules appointments and makes domestic and international travel arrangements, prepares itineraries, arranges for reimbursement, and maintains records of travel expenses and billings.
- Manages meetings with external visitors in terms of scheduling, greeting visitors, securing meeting space, and providing refreshments, if necessary.
- Coordinates Deputy Director’s public appearances, media presence and speaking engagements.
- Maintain detailed records of Deputy Director’s activities, including publications, meetings, media contacts, and boards.
- Manages Deputy Director’s web presence: maintains CV and bio, works with ES Website Coordinator to ensure online publication of these materials, as well as academic and policy papers.
- Orders and maintains office supplies; coordinates office deliveries
- Greats Center office visitors
- Develops and maintains mailing lists.
- Sort and prioritize mail and other incoming materials.
- Supports the Center’s Event Manager to coordinate meetings, conferences and seminars, including hotel arrangements, catering, and other meeting planning functions, if needed.
- Help coordinate registration onsite the day of Center conferences
- Serves as liaison with editor, production editor, research assistants, verifiers, and others.
- Develops and maintains databases of advisory committee members and conference/seminar authors, discussants, invitees and such.
- Completes post conference responsibilities including processing travel expense reports, hotel invoices, and submission of revised papers for publication
- Locates research materials via the Internet or through library searches.
- Compiles, reads, abstracts and organizes written material into bibliographic form.
- Obtains documents from various government and private agencies.
- Assist scholar with proofreading and editing of written products.
Special Education/Experience Requirements:
College degree and a background in a research or academic setting in a health care environment is preferred.
Special Knowledge/Skills Requirements:
Knowledge of Microsoft Office
Capacity to learn other types of software programs
Extensive Internet searching skills
Initiative, discretion, poise, and mature judgment
Organizational skills to manage office independently
Conference planning experience
Note: The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
To apply, qualified candidates should apply online at http://www.hr.duke.edu//jobs/index.php to requisition 401237788. Additionally, qualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume and salary history via email to Gregory.Daniel@duke.edu.
Duke University prohibits discrimination and harassment, and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, or genetic information. Duke is committed to recruiting, hiring, and promoting qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.
Apply for Staff Assistant
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly