Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
Who May Apply: All US Citizens
**This HHS position meets the criteria outlined in OMB M-17-18 and is EXEMPT from the hiring freeze.**
This position is located in the Health and Human Services (DHHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in Montgomery County, MD. Positions may be filled in the following centers:
Center for Drug Evaluation & Research (CDER)
Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH)
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN)
Center for Tobacco Products (CTP)
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement FDA-CR-17-MP-1926270TB under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
- Not Required
In order to qualify for the Epidemiologist, GS-0601-14 position, you must meet the following:
In addition to meeting the specialized experience below, applicants must also meet the following basic educational requirement for this position:
Degree: major study in an academic field related to health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
You must submit a copy of your transcripts to document that you have met the basic educational requirement. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required prior to appointment to this position.
Have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-13 in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience that equips the applicant with knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Specialized experience includes: experience conducting epidemiologic research and analysis of data sources for cosmetics, drug safety and/or food safety assessments and observational epidemiologic studies; and experience coordinating with industry representatives to address regulatory and scientific issues impacting the field of epidemiology.
Delete if not Applicable:
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
Conditions of Employment:
Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the E-Verify System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. Pre-employment physical required: No
5. Drug testing required: No
6. License required: No
7. Mobility agreement required: No
8. Immunization required: No
9. A background investigation may be required.
10. Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
11. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
12. Please be advised this position will be subject to FDA's strict prohibited financial interest regulation and therefore, may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are strongly advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the FDA hiring official before accepting this position.
Public Trust - Background Investigation