1 day left
- Full Time
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
"This HHS Position meets the criteria outlined in OMB M-17-18 and is exempt from the hiring freeze".
Positions are located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in Montgomery County, MD, and may be filled in the following Centers:
Center for Biologics & Evaluation Research (CBER) - Regulates biological products for human use under applicable federal laws, including the Public Health Service Act and the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
Center for Drug Evaluation & Research (CDER) Provide regulatory oversight for investigational studies during drug development and making decisions regarding marketing approval for new drugs.
Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH) - Facilitate medical device innovation by advancing regulatory science, providing industry with predictable, consistent, transparent, and efficient regulatory pathways in devices marketed in the U.S.
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN) - Responsible for the safety of the nation's domestically produced and imported foods, cosmetics, drugs, biologics, medical devices, and radiological products.
Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) - Responsible for implementing the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act to regulate tobacco products and manufactures based on the best available science and for both assessing and fostering that science base.
Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA) Inspects regulated products and manufacturers, conducts sample analyses of regulated products and reviews imported products offered for entry into the United States.
National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR) - is a multi-disciplinary research Center. NCTR conducts scientific research to generate data for FDA decision making, and develops and supports innovative tools and approaches that FDA uses to protect and promote individual and public health.
Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) - Conducts research that helps FDA ensure the safety of animal drugs, food for animals, and food products made from animals; and monitors the safety and effectiveness of animal drugs on the market.
NOTE: If you wish to be considered for the Microbiologist position under Merit Promotion procedures, please apply to FDA-CR-17-MP-1926509KC. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures.
Who May Apply: Open to all United States Citizens.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
- Not Required
Basic Requirement for Microbiology Series, 0403 Degree: microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent. OR Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
To qualify at the GS-11 level: In addition to meeting the basic requirement, you must have one year of qualifying experience at the GS-9 in the Federal Government obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following tasks: Performing microbiological analysis and testing; interpreting the findings related to scientific studies; and writing analytical reports from scientific investigations, studies, or projects.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
Conditions of Employment:
- Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Pre-employment physical required: No
- Drug testing required: No
- License required: No
- Mobility agreement required: No
- Immunization required: No
- Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
- Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing of the announcement.
- Financial disclosure statement required: No
Q - Nonsensitive