Leadership Development Summer Intern 2017
7 days left
- Full Time
TITLE: Leadership and Development Intern
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Director, Leadership and Development
DIVISION/DEPART: Leadership and Learning
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP:
June 5, 2017 to August 11, 2017
$15.00 per hour, paid bi-weekly
$250.00 travel stipend (one time only)
Undergraduate or Graduate Student; majors focusing on program evaluation, public administration, leadership development, business management or marketing, or social enterprise.
Goodwill Industries International, an internationally recognized leading social enterprise of independent, community-based agencies in the United States and Canada as well as 14 affiliate members in 13 other countries. Founded in Boston in 1902, Goodwill Industries® first put people to work by hiring them to repair and sell donated goods. Today, Goodwill® trains people for careers in fields such as financial services, computer programming, manufacturing and emerging industries, including technology and health care. The organization does that by selling donated goods in stores and online at shopgoodwill.com and using the revenues to fund job training programs, employment placement services and other community-based programs, such as financial education and youth mentoring, that benefit three million people each year. Goodwill also builds revenue and creates jobs by working with businesses and government to provide a wide range of commercial services including packing and assembly, food service preparation, document imaging and shredding, grounds keeping and administrative support. The organization earns 98 percent of its revenues through its various business lines, and channels 84 percent of its revenues directly into its services.
The Leadership & Learning (L&L) department provides training on leadership development and principles for staff within the Goodwill network. L&L's programs include a number of annual conferences throughout the year and cohort programs where Goodwill staff can apply for a year-long leadership training and coursework. In the past, L&L had been tracking outputs and some outcomes of their programs. But, the department had not yet made a coordinated effort to measure the impact of their programs for the organization as a whole.
This year, L&L has embarked on a journey to evaluate the impact of their programs. Specifically, L&L is interested in learning how their programs change the behavior of their learners' post-program, and to what extent their learners' change in behavior has a positive impact on their Goodwill member organizations.
- With guidance from Senior Director of leadership and Development, work with Leadership and Learning Team and Senior Research Analyst to support development of program evaluation system for Leadership and Learning programs.
- Support the design of data collection tools in relation to key measures associated with program outcomes and impact.
- Conduct secondary research and analysis of best practices and existing tools used for program evaluation in human services and the social sector.
- Support the design of an internal GII system to provide aligned access to program evaluation data. (i.e., reports, spreadsheets, etc.)
- Internal: Work closely with the Leadership and Learning Team and the Research and Development Team; daily contact with GII team members.
- GII Members: Occasional outside contact with Goodwill members.
- Government Officials: N/A
- Excellent research skills.
- Experience in program evaluation and the design of evaluation tools and techniques.
- Self-motivated, ability to take initiative.
- Strong collaboration and networking skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team.
- Organized with strong attention to detail, time management and multitasking skills.
- Research and development.
- Experience with training and development programs helpful but not required.
Works under general supervision.