Business Operations Specialist, Office of the Associate Dean of Finance and Administration - School
Business Operations Specialist, Office of the Associate Dean of Finance and Administration - School of Foreign Service
The Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service (SFS), founded in 1919, is a premier school of international affairs. At Georgetown's Washington, D.C., and Qatar campuses, SFS provides a rigorous education grounded in both theory and practice while instilling the Jesuit values of service.
The Business Operations Specialist provides centralized budget management services and grants administration for SFS. Reporting to the Associate Dean for Finance and Administration, the Business Operations Specialist has duties that include but are not limited to:
Centralized Budget Management for SFS Units
- Serves as an expert on, and ensures compliance with, University, Main Campus, and SFS financial policies and procedures.
- Works with departmental leadership, the Associate Dean for Finance and Administration, and the SFS Finance team on the development of annual and multi-year budgets.
- Masters and maintains up-to-date knowledge of GMS Financials and chart of accounts.
- Serve as Requisitioner, Expense Preparer, Departmental Administrator, Department Financial Manager for Sponsored Projects, and Financial Reporter in Georgetown Management System (GMS).
- Manages the quarterly budget reconciliation (BAR) process for assigned funds.
- Provides budget forecasting and reports.
- Runs reports to assess data integrity and takes corrective action to resolve any issues.
- Executes all financial transactions, including but not limited to ordering supplies, preparing documentation for contracts and reimbursements, and managing/procuring equipment.
- Manages travel policy for SFS.
- Manage and reconcile ProCards and ensures compliance with policies on card use.
- Works with the Associate Dean for Finance and Administration on projects related to the allocation and appropriate uses of budgets.
- Provides seamless process management and operational support to assigned departments by accurately anticipating and/or identifying needs, troubleshooting and following up on issues, and executing effective resolutions in a timely manner and in compliance with promulgated policies.
- Proactively manages relationship with department directors and staff with solutions-oriented focus - to include regular communication and scheduled meetings with departments to address business needs and to develop an in depth understanding of each department's business priorities and goals.
- Reviews grants for compliance with all sponsor requirements, federal regulations, and University policies and procedures.
- Serves as a liaison between University research support offices and SFS Investigators.
- Assists SFS faculty with grant management, including reporting, through the life cycle of the grant.
- Serves as an expert resource on allowable expenses and related policies.
- Serve as Grants Manager in GMS.
- Facilitates pre-award processing of research grant applications.
- Reviews budgets for sponsored research proposals, as well as grant-related journals and PAAs.
- Monitors SFS research grants.
- Maintain current information on all sponsored accounting operations.
- Ensures that all SFS accounts are in compliance and that direct/indirect costs are allocated.
- Bachelor's degree in business or related field
- 3 to 5 years of professional experience in budget and/or grants administration or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office - Excel in particular
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills and a strong customer-service orientation
- Ability to learn and use Workday Financials system
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Please select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.