Programmer Analyst II
2 days left
- Full Time
Works with Programmer Analyst III and Information Technology System Architect in designing, developing, maintaining and implementing applications. Performs complex program coding and testing; this includes initial program development and changes to existing applications. Researches, performs analysis, develops user requirements definitions, system specifications, acceptance test plans and system transition plans. Develops, coordinates and reviews application test results. Executes test plans according to an accepted plan, document findings, and develops a plan for tracking and resolving all identified issues. Researches, analyzes and implements changes to correct production problems or errors. Provides assistance as required to operation personnel, user personnel, and other areas of DIT required to resolve production problems. Interacts with county and police personnel to provide technical support to agency personnel. Serves on intra-agency teams, attends seminars, training sessions, required county and agency staff and committee meetings.Illustrative Duties
- Writes/reviews program code, scripts, or objects to create, revise, or update computer programs;
- Plans, packages, tests, evaluates, and implements programs, routines, jobs, and utilities;
- Maintains and documents computer programs and/or application software;
- Assists in detecting, analyzing, and solving application-related problems;
- Develops test scripts and data; tests, evaluates, and debugs software systems;
- Implements software in conformance with defined change / release control procedures. Prepares system documentation;
- Develops reports;
- Provides support in a 24 x 7 environment;
- Performs analysis and research to learn about existing applications and new technology;
- Designs inputs, outputs, work flows, error handling, and moderately complex functional logic;
- Interprets specifications, and translates them into design and code of moderate complexity;
- Monitors and evaluates efficiency/effectiveness of applications and underlying data structures;
- Prepares flow charts and translates diagrams into computer or database specifications;
- Reviews successful completion of production cycles and troubleshoots problems.
- Works with technical staff across technology disciplines as required in accomplishing work;
- Confers with users to define requirements and validate conformance to acceptance criteria;
- Prepares/delivers training, procedural manuals, and documentation for system users;
- Coordinates deployment of system with users and operations personnel;
- Interfaces with users to provide technical assistance, diagnose and resolve software problems;
- Presents ideas and concepts to an audience and participates effectively in workgroup activities;
- May require support beyond normal work days to instrumental business operations or systems that require 24x7 support;
- Provides guidance, support, and assistance to less skilled/experienced programmers and to other staff as needed.
- Knowledge of system development life cycle concepts and steps in related activities;
- Knowledge of position-relevant computer language(s) and/or desktop software packages;
- Knowledge of modern information processing techniques and systems analysis;
- Knowledge of the capabilities and operating requirements of various computer platforms;
- Knowledge of centralized, distributed, WEB, and client server applications architectures;
- Knowledge of computer / database programming process and related practices;
- Knowledge of conceptual data, work flow, and process modeling;
- Knowledge of basic report design and procedural report writing;
- Skill in writing programs, maintaining related documentation, and debriefing changes made;
- Skill in designing and developing moderately complex applications and components;
- Skill in performing unit testing and the related debugging of computer errors;
- Ability to elicit requirements from stakeholders to support development of specifications;
- Ability to write programs, to maintain related documentation, and to debrief changes made;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective business relationships;
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team;
- Ability to perform research and find relevant materials to assist in project tasks and assignments;
- Ability to plan, to organize, and to conduct systems analysis and feasibility assessments;
- Ability to evaluate processes/procedures, to suggest improvements, and to design specifications;
- Ability to document necessary system modifications and enhancements to defined standard(s);
- Ability to assist users in troubleshooting and solving systems and programming problems;
- Ability to translate technical terminology into simple, non-technical language;
- Ability to train less skilled technical workers and to plan, assign, and review their work;
- Ability to prepare clear, detailed programs of instruction for efficient system utilization;
- Ability to ask relevant questions to assure understanding of assignments and requirements;
- Ability to write easy to follow systems documentation tailored to the end user audience.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to a two-year degree in information systems, computer technology, business, economics, or related field; plus three years of programming/analysis experience; or graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a four-year degree in information systems, computer technology, business, economics, or related field, plus one year of programming/analysis experience in a complex information systems environment.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Experience in applications development and support in a variety of languages, platforms, and data access methods. Experience with relational DBMS; ability to work on multiple projects and applications; keen troubleshooting and problem solving capabilities; knowledge and experience working with Web-based and object-oriented environments. Extensive experience working in teams, experience programming, documenting and maintaining interfaces. Knowledge and experience with ASP.Net, SQL Server and Visual Studio.
This position requires one to be able to stand, stoop, bend, stretch, walk, climb, sit, type on keyboard-driven equipment and to sit for long periods. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.