Director of Development
American Society of International Law
The American Society of International Law (“ASIL” or “the Society”), the premier membership organization in the field of international law, seeks an experienced, hands-on development professional to serve as its Director of Development. Founded in 1906, ASIL’s mission is to foster the study of international law and to promote the establishment and maintenance of international relations on the basis of law and justice. The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director, serves as a member of the senior management team, and contributes to the overall leadership of the organization.
Title: Director of Development
FLSA Classification: Exempt
The Director of Development has primary responsibility, in partnership with the Executive Director (“ED”), for all fundraising and development activities of the Society, which collectively account for 30% of the Society’s $3 million annual budget. The goal of these activities will be to put in place and execute a comprehensive plan to achieve sustained annual growth in contributed income through the solicitation of major gifts and other individual contributions, planned giving, grants, partnership programs, and sponsorships and exhibits at the Society’s major events.
- Exercise primary responsibility, in collaboration with the ED, senior staff, and the Society’s Executive Council, for the development and implementation of a comprehensive development strategy, an annual fundraising plan, and all fundraising activities
- Collaborate with the Director of Finance to develop and implement the Society’s overall financial strategy
- Develop and implement a program to expand and sustain the Society’s donor base through the solicitation of major gifts and other individual contributions
- Oversee development and marketing of planned giving and monthly giving programs, and other donor initiatives
- Maintain and expand academic, corporate and publishing partnership programs
- Develop and implement a plan to secure sponsorships and exhibits at the Society’s Annual and Midyear Meetings
- Identify and pursue opportunities for grant funding from foundations, corporations, government, and other sources, track grant proposals and prepare reports on grants received
- Research, recommend, and implement best practices for fundraising, including periodic review and enhancement of current operating procedures
- Develop and monitor donor information and provide analysis to the ED, senior staff, and leadership on fundraising activities
- Supervise the Development Assistant and Development Interns
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s and CFRE credential preferred
- 5-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization with demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- Tangible experience in developing and executing fundraising strategies and expanding and cultivated existing donor relationships
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and attention to detail
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- The ability to take initiative, to work independently, and to be a productive and flexible member of an integrated senior management team
The American Society of International Law is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by law. We value a diverse and inclusive workforce and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Compensation: ASIL offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package, and an interesting, collegial work environment. Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter with resume, references, and writing sample to email@example.com. Please put “Director of Development” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
2223 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20008