Director, Office of Business Excellence
The purpose of this position is to provide leadership for and management of ASHA's Office of Business Excellence (OBE). The Director of the OBE plays a leading role in the development of an Association culture that achieves business excellence by developing methodologies, tools, frameworks, strategies, and policies related to portfolio management, project management, process improvement and the disciplined planning and execution of ASHA's Strategic Pathway. The incumbent has responsibility for determining priorities, delegating work, and managing and coaching the OBE staff. The end result is to ensure that ASHA has and utilizes current and appropriate information on the most effective portfolio management, project management and process improvement procedures and strategic plan execution that can be used to achieve business excellence.
- Provide expert guidance to the Chief Executive Officer, Facilitating Team, and volunteer leaders on portfolio management, project management, process improvement procedures, and strategic planning and execution that can be used to facilitate development and implementation of Association strategy, programs, and services.
- Continually develop and maintain ASHA's portfolio management, project management, process improvement, and strategic plan execution procedures and tools and champion their use throughout the Association.
- Facilitate the disciplined execution of annual and multiyear work plans for the Association's strategic plan and other priority issues and outcomes as determined by the Chief Executive Officer and/or the Facilitating Team.
- Work with the IS and Digital Communications teams to create and continually update a portfolio of projects at ASHA; manage and facilitate decisions that pertain to the balance of active and queued projects; facilitate the process to refresh the portfolio on an annual basis.
- Facilitate development and implementation of process improvement procedures to improve business operations.
- Provide staff training and/or development programs for National Office staff related to strategic planning, project management, and process improvement.
- Lead and manage the Office of Business Excellence team, including hiring, guidance, coaching, delegation of assignments, and professional development. Ensure the timeliness and quality of completed work from the OBE staff.
- Explore new ideas and developments in portfolio management, project management, process improvement, and strategic plan execution that can be used to achieve business excellence.
- Assist in the selection and management of vendor services; ensure that contract management best practices are used.
- Construct and manage the annual budget for the OBE.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- Successful completion of a master's degree
- Successful completion of a Project Management Professional (PMP)® Certification or equivalent professional experience
- Work experience in strategic planning, portfolio management, and project management preferred
- Familiarity with process improvement best practices
- Three or more years supervisory experience preferred
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated experience using technology tools to facilitate strategic planning, project management, and process improvement
- Familiarity with using Microsoft SharePoint as a strategic planning, project management, and process improvement tool is preferred
- Familiarity with SDLC and Agile Software Development practices is preferred
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to convey complex ideas in clear and understandable terms
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning and execution best practices (knowledge of the Balanced Scorecard preferred)
- Demonstrated knowledge of project and portfolio management best practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of process improvement best practices (knowledge of Lean, Lean Six Sigma preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to assume an organization-wide leadership role in facilitating strategic planning, project management, and process improvement activities
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in quality and change management
- Work experience in an association strongly preferred
EOE/minorities, women, persons with disabilities, veterans with disabilities and Vietnam veterans are encouraged to apply.