The American Association for Justice® (AAJ™), formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA®), promotes justice and fairness for injured persons, safeguards the rights of injured persons--particularly the right to trial by jury--and strengthens the civil justice system through education and disclosure of information critical to public health and safety.
Writer, Member Communications
The Writer reports to the Marketing Director and will be the primary communicator of AAJ information from the CEO and association leadership to association members as well as to prospective members. This is a fast-paced job that requires hustle, quick synthesis of material (much of it related to federal legislation), and adherence to tight deadlines.
The Writer will develop strategic member communications by:
- Interfacing with staff from all departments to assess information, programs, benefits, etc., and develop content (for example email, magazine columns, and blog posts);
- Ensuring effective and consistent AAJ messaging and coordination among all AAJ departments;
- Improving AAJ member outreach, including more effective use of the website, surveys, email communications, and leadership/officer presentations.
- Writes talking points, speeches, video and presentation scripts, and executive communications to members and potential members; creates “the voice” of AAJ officers;
- Serves as primary writer of CEO messages to AAJ membership; writes, and can edit, outbound member communications and additional products including messages from the president and selected departments;
- Works with teams to design marketing and communications plans and programs to enhance member recruitment and retention;
- Provides internal and external consistency of AAJ messaging, as well as editorial guidance on style and messaging for member communications;
- Conducts member and non-member research to determine effectiveness of current communications tools and messaging and perceived value of current member services;
- Oversees maintenance, development, and content creation for TrialLawyersCare.org; serves as the Trial Lawyers Care Committee staff liaison; is the main driver for member engagement on volunteer/community service issues for the association.
- Superior oral and writing skills; strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit;
- Seasoned communications professional with at least 5 years of experience in communications/writing at a trade or membership organization;
- Demonstrated experience in developing successful membership-focused messages;
- Strong knowledge of issues related to the civil justice system;
- Strong knowledge and application of online communications strategies and tactics, and social media tools and best practices;
- Collaborative ability capable of developing relationships with staff across department lines; ability to lead teams;
- Ability to produce deliverable on tight deadlines;
- Ability and willingness to work, on occasion, outside of “traditional” work hours, to meet deadlines.
AAJ offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org; fax to 202-333-2861; or mail to AAJ HR Dept., 777 6th St. NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20001. EOE.