Financial Aid Counselor
Financial Aid Counselor
Office of Financial Aid
Exempt, Regular, 100%-Time, Pay Grade 1.1
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Financial Aid Counselor in the Office of Financial Aid. Reporting to the Assistant Director, the Financial Aid Counselor will evaluate financial aid applicants and determine financial aid eligibility in accordance with state, federal and institutional policies governing financial aid. Occasional travel between local UMUC locations may be required.
Must be able to meet and maintain access requirements for secure federal and/or state websites, such as the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). Individuals cannot currently be in default on a student loan.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Provide comprehensive counseling to students regarding financial aid eligibility through in-person, phone and email conversations.
- Work extensively on various special projects for loan proration, Pell grant adjustments, unusual enrollment history and working authorization/failure reports to ensure compliance.
- Develop and utilize knowledge of UMUC's verification process to make professional judgment decisions regarding student cases and files.
- Create computerized reports, merge and evaluate complex data from multiple sources, change award amounts, maintain statistical data and generate communications to students.
- Participate in student recruitment and retention activities including attending open house events, information sessions, and other events as requested to offer guidance to prospective student staff.
- Serve as a rotating member of the Satisfactory Academic Progress and Professional judgment Committee.
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of Federal Title IV regulations pertaining to financial aid.
- Participate in training and professional development activities as appropriate.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree required from an accredited institution of higher learning and a minimum of one (1) year of professional experience in higher education, accounting, business or customer service.
- Ability to work with detailed, factual information from a variety of sources.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience with computerized office systems including, but no limited to, Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple administrative tasks with minimal oversight.
- Demonstrated experience providing customer service in a timely and proficient manner.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Prior financial aid experience preferred and functional experience with PeopleSoft and/or SalesForce desired.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.