Intern, Tropical Ecology Assessment and Monitoring Data (Science 2017)
The Tropical Ecology Assessment and Monitoring Network (TEAM) is a long-term monitoring network that is continuously collecting data throughout tropical forests globally to understand the effects of climate change and land use change on tropical biodiversity and use this information to inform conservation policy. Our network provides open-source data as well as data management and analytical tools that are aimed at providing standardized, user-friendly and relevant applications to biodiversity monitoring. The TEAM Network currently manages a global database of over 3 million camera trap images, 70,000 vegetation stems and 8 million climate records. TEAM is looking for an intern to assist in data management, quality control, assurance and integration. The intern would assist in finding and organizing TEAM data-sets and helping with quality assurance and quality control of the database to continue to ensure TEAM data maintains the highest data quality. The end goal would be to assist in developing quality control measures and creating a workflow that TEAM can maintain for long-term database management in addition to assisting in developing a new framework for data management and analytic capabilities. The intern would also assist in developing integrated analytic tools and automated data-related reports. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Data management, quality assurance and quality control: Assists in improving and establishing new components of workflow to analyze incoming TEAM data to discover data errors, missing data and non-compliant data values. Helps to design and run automated scripts to discover and fix these issues. Also works with data already in database to assure quality standards and assist in developing a new data management framework.
- Coding: Assists in developing structured code to perform quality control measures on the existing TEAM database and establishes a series of workflows for future incoming data. Help to develop scripts to build analytic tools (e.g., R ‘Shiny’ apps) and data reports. Will build upon existing and new data by contributing to the development of new analytic tools and data visualization.
- Integration and Outreach: Assists in developing integration of datasets, analytic tools and reporting templates for network members.
This position is based in Arlington, VA in a typical office environment.
Knowledge of biology, ecology, or wildlife conservation a plus.
- Experience with general data management and web portals. Experience with website development a plus.
- Ability to compile, analyze and integrate large amounts of data.
- Basic familiarity and skills with GIS software (e.g., ArcGIS, QGIS) and image manipulation techniques would be a plus.