Intern, Geographic Information System (Science 2017)
6 days left
- Full Time
The GIS Intern will also assist in gathering and distributing routine GIS data and information. As directed, the Interns will generate, collate, organize, maintain and archive GIS data. They will help serve as a technical resource for the Moore Center for Science and help provide decision makers with relevant GIS data and maps needed to make informed decisions, build capacity, and help implement conservation priorities throughout CI.
Coordinate administration of a technology survey to the division, following up with interviews in person or over the phone, and compiling responses into a database; writing a guidance document for continuing this effort throughout CI.
- Generate GIS digital data, thematic maps, map layouts and other spatial products.
- Collate and encode spatial data to facilitate data archiving, retrieval and processing. Load and update GIS in existing databases using appropriate software. Secure data with appropriate backup procedures. Develop maps and related data for inclusion in reports and publications. Ensure consistency with CI’s intellectual property rights prior to publication and/or release.
- Assist in providing GIS technical input to planning, project development, report writing, and related activities.
- Provide user support and technical assistance to LGUs, NGOs, and other partners as directed.
- As directed, organize technical meetings, manage correspondence and meeting minutes, and coordinate with partners.
- This position is located in Arlington, VA
- Normal office environment; no travel.
- Experience with ArcGIS, QGIS, and other GIS software
- Cartography experience
- Ability to clearly document and communicate technical workflows
- Attention to detail
- Familiarity with remotely sensed data sources and concepts
- Able to work and coordinate in an international environment
- Python scripting preferred