Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service, as we prepare for a second century of stewardship and engagement. Become a part of our mission to connect with our past and create important connections to the future by building a rich and lasting legacy for the next generation of park visitors, supporters, and advocates.
This position is located in the Division of Maintenance at Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts. Wolf Trap National Park is located in Vienna, Virginia approximately twenty miles west of Washington, D.C. There is no public transportation or temporary housing available. Wolf Trap National Park is the only national park dedicated to presenting the performing arts. No matter what your age or taste in shows, you'll find something you like onstage at Wolf Trap. From May through September, multiple amphitheaters in the park present performances such as musicals, dance, opera, jazz, popular and country music. Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts offers a wealth of natural and cultural resources to the community and to the nation.
The anticipated entrance on duty date is May 2017. This position is established to provide a meaningful work opportunity in the Gardener occupation. The primary purpose of the position is to provide proper care and maintenance for lawns, flowers, shrubs, and trees. The incumbent will perform the gardener work based upon seasonal schedules or projects plans for the area, suitability of the weather, degree of moisture in the soil, and the stage of plant growth.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work requires frequent walking, standing, pushing of carts, and wheelbarrows, bending, and stooping. The incumbent occasionally climbs ladders to prune or trim vegetation and lifts heavy objects such as bags of fertilizer, grass seeds, etc.WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is done outside or in a greenhouse. In working outside, the gardener is subject to discomfort from long periods in the sun, and sometimes in chilly or rainy weather. On a regular basis the conditions will involve working in air contaminated with chemical dust and sprays being applied to trees and shrubs. The incumbent will be required to wear protective clothing during pesticide/herbicide application; as well as normal safety items such as gloves, boots, glasses, etc. Because of the duties performed there is the chance of minor injuries such as bruises, cuts, and scrapes and occasional possibility of broken bones from falls.
APPLICANTS WHO DO NOT SUBMIT THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION WILL NOT RECEIVE FULL CONSIDERATION. Please read the entire announcement before you apply. To view the entire announcement, select "Print" above "Job Summary."
- Not Required
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following by the closing date of the vacancy announcement: Wednesday, March 22, 2017
SCREEN OUT FACTOR (MANDATORY): Ability to do the work of a Gardener (MVO), WG-5003-04, without more than normal supervision.
To qualify, there is no specific length of training or experience required; however, you must be able to demonstrate enough experience in your application to show you possess sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of this position without more than normal supervision (Screen Out Element). Applicants who do not meet the SCREEN OUT ELEMENT will not be given further consideration.
Resume must reflect the responses to the online questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, etc.) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious, spiritus); community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translate directly to paid employment. You may receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Appointment will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation. Under the requirements of the Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12), all new Federal Employees must pass a background investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- To be eligible for appointment to this position, the new hire must be cleared to come on board once the results of the fingerprint check, review of the OF-306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and the candidate's Electronic Questionnaires for Investigations Processing (eQIP) entries have been reviewed and determined to be satisfactory. A credit check may be required for this position if any financial issues arise during the background investigation process.
- New employees of the Department of the Interior must identify a financial institution for direct deposit of net pay within 30 days of entrance on duty.
- NPS uniformed position. Employee will be required to wear a uniform and comply with National Park Service uniform standards.
- Applicants must possess and maintain a valid state driver's license or District of Columbia driver's license.
- This is not a drug tested position; however all Federal government employees are subject to reasonable suspicious testing as appropriate.
- Applicant must be able to work alternative work schedules, shift rotations, including night shift, holidays, and weekends.
- Incumbent will be required to work outdoors, often under adverse conditions.
Q - Nonsensitive