Research Technician III, Histopathology Laboratory - Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgeto
Research Technician III, Histopathology Laboratory - Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgetown University Medical Center
Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center (LCCC) clinicians are dedicated to providing the best professional care, delivered with compassion, for all patients. Lombardi's internationally-renowned physicians treat virtually every type of cancer, including breast, lung, colorectal, prostate, head and neck, and cancers of the blood. Along with cutting-edge cancer care, we offer a program of innovative clinical trials and a full range of supportive care services to improve our patients' health and quality of life.
The Research Technician III provides skilled medical technology and histology capabilities to support the scope of the pathology and histology services, and the research related functions and goals of the Histopathology Laboratory in the LCCC. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Stains slides by Immunohistochemistry daily for support of biomarker discovery and validation projects for translational research studies as well as animal model research studies.
- Adheres to safety procedures including universal precautions- gowns, gloves, masks, and goggles as appropriate.
- Works in biosafety cabinets for some procedures and in fume hood.
- Uses hazardous chemicals and other biohazardous agents, including infectious agents.
- Performs microtomy and dissection using sharp instruments.
- Supports translational and basic research projects, including but not limited to Lombardi mission critical goals of biomarker discovery and validation.
- Identifies biospecimens in the Human Tissue Bank for translational research projects, within the HTSR, sectioned in the Histology laboratory and stained by the 2 technicians in the IHC facility.
- Prepares billing for completed work to ensure proper payment for services provided.
- Bachelor of Science degree and laboratory experience and strong skills in laboratory bench work - preference Master's degree and significant background in research science
- 2 - 4 years of laboratory experience/skills, preferably with direct immunohistochemistry skills
- Aptitude for working with research specimens
- Knowledge of anatomy and histology - ability to recognize cell and tissue structures
- Proficiency in Microsoft office, file, maintenance, database management, and spreadsheet applications
- Corrected vision and hearing to normal range
- Preference for certification in histology (HT or HTL) and/or medical technology and/or similar training certification
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Please select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.