Jr. Cyber Security Analyst
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) seeks a junior Cyber Security Analyst to investigate computer and information security incidents to determine and resolve potential breaches and vulnerabilities; uses and maintains information security tools necessary to ensure the secure operation of IDA’s information system infrastructure; conducts compliance audits, in collaboration with other IT staff, that ensure compliance with information security policies and guidelines.
Executes Information Security Monitoring
- Monitors and analyzes information security alerts from network devices and information systems
- Responds and/or directs the response to information security incidents
- Analyzes indicators of compromise for use in detection
- Reports risk posture of information systems
- Collaborates with industry and government sponsors on new threat indicators
Supports Media Forensics and Malware Analysis
- Forensic analysis of information systems and portable devices
- Forensic recovery of data using industry tools
- Behavioral analysis of malware to provide indicators for monitoring
Executes Information System Security Evaluation and Hardening
- Evaluates new information security technologies
- Configures and implement information security technologies
- Validates system hardening and provides guidance for security configuration
- Evaluates network and system security configuration for risk based access control
Supports Information Security Training and Projects
- Develops employee awareness training for relevant information security trends
- Evaluates information security trends, tools and techniques for potential application to infrastructure and research areas
- Manages and/or contributes to information technology projects
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer security, or related technical discipline coupled with one (1) year of experience in information technology; prior cyber security experience is preferred but not required; OR a high school diploma coupled with three years of experience in information technology; cyber security experience is preferred but not required.
- Possesses or ability to obtain within six months an information security certification commensurate with DoD Instruction 8570.
- Familiarity with the process of obtaining certification and accreditation of information systems preferred.
- Familiarity with vulnerability scanners, monitoring, auditing and intrusion detection systems, and forensic response preferred.
- Familiarity with notification of Internet threats, alerts, vulnerabilities, and anti-virus software preferred.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with all levels of employees.
- Ability to obtain and maintain appropriate security clearance.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.