Research Associate- Test Science
IDA is a federally-funded research and development center that produces objective, high-impact analyses for the Department of Defense (DoD). IDA prides itself on the quality and timeliness of these analyses, and its multi-disciplinary problem-solving approach. The Operational Evaluation Division (OED) is the largest division at IDA. Its primary task is to support the DoD in evaluating how effective, suitable, and survivable weapons systems and other major defense systems are under operationally realistic conditions.
Currently, OED is seeking a Research Associate to join our test science team in Alexandria, VA.
The data scientist will be involved in the planning and development of databases for storing information on division business processes and DoD acquisition programs. The data scientist will work in a multi-disciplinary team to support and advise IDA senior leadership. The assistant will also develop management tools and data models to provide information to senior level officials in the DoD on the test and evaluation of military systems. Duties include:
- Updating logical design of current database structures to improve monitoring and met front-end user needs
- Assisting in planning and in the development of new databases to monitor operational testing and acquisition programs in the DoD
- Developing data standards, writing database documentation, and developing the data dictionary for new databases
- Conducting data analyses to inform leadership
- Interacting with Governmental or industrial representatives
- Travel may be required
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Statistics, Bio-Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science, Economics, or Applied Mathematics coupled with relevant work experience (via government, industry, fellowships, or internships)
- Candidates must have experience with one or more of the following statistical packages: JMP, R, SPSS, Matlab, SAS, or Python.
- Ability to work independently or in teams
- Expertise in survey methods and/or computer programming is desired
- Military or civilian DoD acquisition or test experience is desired
- Candidates selected will be subject to a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information as required
- U.S. Citizenship is required