Desktop Support Specialist III
Desktop Support Specialist III
Office of Analytics, Planning and Technology
Exempt, Regular, Full-Time, Grade 2.3
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a customer-oriented, self-motivated individual to join the Office of Analytics, Planning and Technology as a Desktop Support Specialist III. This position reports to the Desktop Support Manager, and provides complex level support of computer hardware, software, peripheral equipment, audio visual equipment, and basic network services for conference rooms, classrooms and UMUC staff. Additionally, this position will act as the onsite supervisor during those times when the Desktop Support Manager is not physically available; this will include delegation of responsibilities to Desktop Support Specialist I and II positions, as well as close maintenance of ticketing system queues. This position will be responsible for ensuring the planning of technology resources for onsite events as they are requested from the UMUC community. This position may recommend, develop, and deploy new technologies. The Specialist must work independently with minimal direction and be able to exercise sound judgment in setting priorities for support requests. Position will work with the guidance of the Desktop Support Manager to help provide leadership to all junior members of the team. This is a senior Specialist role that will be expected to provide support on issues escalated from less experienced team members.
The ideal candidate will possess strong customer service skills, self-motivation and initiative, patience and empathy, the ability to effectively multi-task, maintain composure in stressful situations, and collaborate in a team setting. Successful candidates are also expected to be strong problem-solvers with a focus on continuous improvement and possess a sense of urgency. Exceptional oral and written communication skills that are clear, concise, and professional are also necessary. This includes internal/external knowledge articles, email to customers/colleagues, and procedural documentation.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Act as onsite supervisor when Desktop Support Manager is not physically present.
- Delegation of incidents, tasks, and requests.
- Maintain ticketing system queues.
- Communication between stakeholder departments when required and necessary.
- Participation in IT projects as primary stakeholder.
- Hardware/software inventory, installation and maintenance, troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Install, maintain, and repair computer hardware, software, peripheral and audio visual equipment of the type deployed by UMUC to maintain full functionality.
- Prepare and test equipment to ensure proper performance.
- Troubleshoot and perform diagnostics to identify and resolve performance problems.
- Make repairs and replace/upgrade parts/components as necessary.
- Work at a highly detailed level to track, maintain and document “trouble tickets” for all service requests received/self-initiated work orders to maintain accurate histories of all equipment.
- Assist with and support classroom, computer laboratory, conference rooms, and other university space equipment as needed, including travel to remote UMUC sites.
- Provide instruction on the proper use and operation of all hardware, software, and audio visual equipment supported; prepare “how to” instructional and information documents for clients to assist them in the use of these items and updating these documents from to time as needed; answer client questions relating to equipment and software supported; provide hands-on instruction to staff as requested.
- Perform Windows and Mac systems imaging. Install software upgrades as needed.
- Provide leadership, direction, and guidance to junior members of the team, interns, and student workers.
- Provide expertise and help resolving complex issues escalated by less experienced members.
- Seek opportunities to lead team initiatives and operational projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning or equivalent experience.
- 4 years of experience in an IT Support role.
- Ability to delegate operational duties to other technicians.
- Required availability: 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM or 9:00AM - 6:00 PM. Some weekends as needed.
- Experience troubleshooting Windows operating systems.
- Hands-on experience using a technical support ticketing system (e.g, ServiceNow/IT Works, Remedy).
- Experience drafting detailed, clear, concise and professional communications and documentation.
- Experience with Mac OS, Android, and iOS troubleshooting.
Leadership experience (team lead, manager, etc.) in a team environment.
Desktop support experience at UMUC preferred.
IT industry certifications such as CompTIA A+, ACMT, Microsoft, ITIL v3 and/or HDI Desktop Support Specialist are a plus.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.