Manager of Urban Forest Programs
Manage and implement American Forests’ urban forest projects in several metropolitan areas of the U.S. The portfolio of work includes implementation of American Forests’ Community ReLeaf projects nationwide; national research and synthesis on urban forestry topics; urban forest policy development; and other duties as assigned.
REQUISITE EDUCATION OR CERTIFICATIONS: Minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience in natural resource management, forestry, urban forestry, environmental science, landscape architecture, environmental engineering, city planning or another related field. Arborist certification is a plus.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE: Minimum 2 years of work experience in natural resources conservation. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated, interdisciplinary thinker with a passion for and working knowledge of urban sustainability. The candidate should have project management and topical research experience, verbal and written communication skills, be detail oriented, proficient in Microsoft Office and have experience or a demonstrated capacity for organizing volunteer events.
Experience with any of the following will be considered favorably: conservation planning, innovative conservation financing, GIS analysis, i-Tree, implementing urban greening projects, administering grants or contracts, conducting scientific research, engaging volunteers and developing multi-media products, and policy work relevant to greening urban environments.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Some travel will be required outside of the Washington, DC area. Most work will be in a general office environment, with some local meetings outside of the office. American Forests is located in downtown Washington, DC within walking distance of Metro stations on all lines, multiple bus lines, and Capital Bikeshare.
SPECIFIC DUTIES: Working under the supervision of the Director of Urban Forest Programs, the individual will:
- Manage day-to-day implementation of American Forests’ Community ReLeaf program. Community ReLeaf is an adaptable initiative to help build local capacity for tree canopy management in select metro areas throughout the country. Project management, including grants and contracts, will be required. Deliverables can include urban tree canopy assessments, green space restoration projects, volunteer events, long-term canopy action plans and policy initiatives.
- Collect and synthesize content for communication products focused on urban forestry research findings, case studies of diverse cities, in-depth topical investigations, federal programs and engaging diverse disciplines impacted by the urban forest.
- Provide support for the development and implementation of urban forestry policy initiatives, both in key metropolitan areas and nationally.
- Manage aspects of the National Champion Tree Program, which includes management of a centralized registry and annual nomination process.
- Complete other duties as assigned, including periodic support for development and communication efforts and new initiatives as they emerge.
A combination of education and experience will be considered in determining relative candidate qualifications.
SALARY: $35,000 - $42,000 per year, dependent on experience. Full time with benefits that include 401(k) matching, healthcare and dental.
Apply for Manager of Urban Forest Programs
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly