Summer 2017 Communications & Civil Rights Internship
7 days left
- Full Time
Summer 2017 Communications & Civil Rights Internship
Reports to: External Affairs Team & Fair Housing Team
Internship Focus: Support the ERC's External Affairs Department with social and digital media functions
Ideal for: Juniors or Seniors pursing a degree in journalism, digital communications, marketing or a related field.
With over 30 years of experience, the Equal Rights (ERC) Center is a Washington, DC based non-profit that investigates and remediates acts of discrimination. We promote equal opportunities nationally in employment, housing, government services and public accommodations for all protected classes. The ERC accomplishes our efforts through education, research, testing, enforcement, advocacy and partners.
The External Affairs Department oversees the organization's marketing and communications, fund development, corporate partnerships and stakeholder engagement. We are seeking an intern to support our efforts in strengthening and growing our social media and online presence to raise our visibility, better engage our supporters and promote the important work of the ERC via new mediums.
As the ERC's oldest program area, the Fair Housing Program is at the forefront of addressing housing discrimination. To address barriers to equal housing opportunity, the Fair Housing Program conducts education and outreach, individual and systemic investigations, and advocates on behalf of its members and others who have experienced housing discrimination. We are seeking an intern to assist the Fair Housing team in achieving their goals and continuing our efforts. Also, this intern may be supporting the Operations team with administrative work like shredding, filing, and archiving.
The internship runs from Tuesday, May 30th 2017 through Friday, August 4th 2017. This is a paid internship. Interns will be paid DC minimum wage by the hour. Students are expected to be available for a maximum of 10 weeks, part time (exactly 30 hours per week). Based on the chosen candidate's availability, a schedule will be assigned from the following times: 10-4 or 11-5 Monday through Friday.
- Assist with managing social media, web and e-communications.
- Draft copy, as needed, and make timely, relevant and engaging posts and blogs.
- Support the use of the ERC's Google Analytics, Twitter, Facebook, Hootsuite, etc. accounts.
- Track google alerts and relevant media pertaining to the ERC our core program areas.
- Collect program data and update reports highlighting the organizations education and outreach.
- Support webinar logistics.
- Conducting intakes: receiving phone calls from people who have experienced discrimination and discussing their options for remediation
- Conducting research for reports and investigations
- Assisting with data entry
- Acting as civil rights testers
- Answering phone calls, assisting with filing, completing other duties as assigned
What you will gain:
- Demonstrated experience in working with designers, project managers, clients and senior leaders in the successful development of marketing communications materials.
- Demonstrated experience working in Google Analytics and managing social media portals.
- Content and relevant professional experience to include in your portfolio post-graduation.
- Experience working in a non-profit environment and learning from a seasoned manger and communications strategist.
- Ability to navigate and position from various viewpoints and communication styles.
- Knowledge of civil rights issues and legislations, especially as it relates to social media, communications and fair housing.
Experience & Education Required:
- Educational background or training in copywriting, editing, web content development, or social media.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor's or master's degree in communications, public relations or related field AND/OR in any social science (i.e. history, sociology, psychology, politics, etc.).
- Educational background AND interest in civil rights, social justice and advocacy issues.
- Sensitivity toward cultural, racial, ethnic and socioeconomic diversity.
- Demonstrated passion or interest in fair housing issues.
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to exercise flexibility, initiative, and good judgment.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Good organizational, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work accurately and meet deadlines with frequent interruptions.
- Skilled in various Microsoft Office products.
- Integrity, respect, and discretion in handling confidential information.
- Skilled in navigating the Internet for research purposes.
Experience & Education Preferred:
- Strong aptitude or experience working with software design and application tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, Convio, and Constant Contact.
- Experience with HTML.
- Prior experience working or interning for a communications group OR prior experience interning or working for social advocacy groups particularly related to civil rights issues.
- Second language a plus.
- Prior experience conducting intakes or receiving calls from people experience discrimination.
- Prior experience or knowledge of civil rights testing.
For more information about the Equal Rights Center please visit www.equalrightscenter.org .
To submit an application, please send via email: (1) a cover letter describing your interest in our work and (2) your resume.
All materials must be emailed to email@example.com, to the attention of Diego Rivera, Operations Coordinator. Subject line: External Affairs and Fair Housing Internship application of (your name).
Due to the high volume of applicants, we may not be able to respond to everyone. Qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis. Open until filled.
The Equal Rights Center is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Equal Rights Center is a barrier, drugs and smoke free workplace.