Linux System Administrator
Position Opening: Linux System Administrator
Department: Legislative Computer Systems
Office of the Clerk
U.S. House of Representatives
Starting Salary: 90K – 120K
Closing Date: March 31, 2017
Job Summary: The Office of the Clerk for U.S. House of Representatives is seeking an experienced Linux Administrator to join the Network & Operations team that is dedicated to managing systems critical to legislative operations, used by Members of Congress, Committees, other internal agencies and the public. The Linux System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff and end users.
SA Engineering and Provisioning
1. Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
2. Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
3. Install and configure systems such as Legislative Information Management System, Electronic Voting System, and any other Linux based systems managed by the Office of the Clerk.
4. Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
5. Contribute to and maintain system standards.
6. Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
Operations and Support
7. Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
8. Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
9. Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
10. Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
11. Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
12. Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
13. Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
14. Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
15. Upgrade and configure system software that supports GIS infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications per project or operational needs.
16. Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
17. Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
18. Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
19. Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
Works in a small work station in an office environment without an expectation of privacy where noise levels are usually moderate. As an experienced Linux Administrator, the applicant must have the temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant and professional manner. The applicant must also be able to exercise discretion and independent judgment in fulfillment of responsibilities.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, and equivalent work experience is preferred.
• Five or more years of Linux system administration experience.
• Strong knowledge and experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
• Other technologies and experiences of interest to our team:
- Windows Administration
- VMware Administration
- Firewalls and Intrusion detection
- Oracle database administration
- MS SQL database administration
- System Administration on the Cloud (Azure, AWS, etc.)
- No telephone inquiries please. Interested individuals may fax, mail, or email a cover letter and resume to:
Mr. Jeffrey Gold
Office of the Clerk
Legislative Computer Systems
U.S. House of Representatives
2401 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D. C. 20515
This position is located onsite.
Hiring for this position is governed by the Veterans Employment Opportunities Act. Applicants seeking veterans’ preference consideration should email email@example.com for further information.
Continued employment is contingent upon satisfactorily completing a criminal history records check. Employment with the U.S. House of Representatives is at-will. EOE.