Financial Analyst (School Nutrition Services)
6 days left
- Full Time
The School Nutrition Services (SNS) Financial Analyst performs a variety of complex tasks to support the SNS division budget and provide leadership in the area of financial data analysis. Primary responsibilities include oversight of the SNS division budget, cash flow analysis, P/L breakdown by school, and projections of financial status.
In addition, the Financial Analyst will participate as necessary in district long-term planning and forecasting, financial monitoring and reporting, data modeling (Idashboard) for the central office site as well as at the school sites, while adhering to standard practices, policies, and regulations in accordance with Virginia Department of Education, Virginia Department of Health, VDACS and the Alexandria City School Board.
The successful candidate will monitor the operating budget for all SNS projects and accounts; create expenditure and revenue forecasts; generate monthly financial reports; implement new systems; and track and report variances as identified. The candidate will work collaboratively with the Financial Management Office and the Procurement Office and the SNS Executive Leadership team to review financial performance and communicate budgetary policies and issues effectively.
This position reports to the ACPS School Nutrition Services Director.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or related field. Master's Degree strongly preferred.
- Experience: Minimum 5 years' related work experience, specifically with accounting, business, financial analysis reporting, public or business administration.
- Key Competencies: Strong MS Office skills, specifically Excel pivot tables, P/L reports creation using advanced Excel functions, Idashboards, charts and graphs and Power Point presentations.
- Provides oversight of all federal and state program applications, to include; Free and Reduced Meal Application, Child and Adult Care Feeding Program Application, and Summer Food Service Program Application that are administered by the SNS program.
- State reports:
- Determines meals by category and school for monthly submission to DESE for reimbursement claim.
- Electronically submit monthly reimbursement claim determining and addressing any warning messages.
- Track reimbursement payments for accuracy and receiving.
- Creates and monitors profit and loss statements for the SNS Department and each local school program on a monthly and annual basis; providing financial report and status of all programs to the Director and Supervisor of SNS.
- Completes all regulatory financial documents required for all federal programs within the SNS program, such as Paid Lunch Equity (PLE) and the Non-Program Food Revenue Tool.
- Monitors and tracks USDA commodity value and inventories on a monthly and annual basis. Requests funding for any lost, damaged or recalled food products.
- Assists director in budget development and monitors budgetary changes; advises director of account balances.
- Prepares monthly and annual financial reports for the SNS director.
- Makes presentations on financial status of program and special projects to SNS Director, COO, Superintendent and the Board of Education, as requested.
- Works closely with procurement and finance regarding the value of large equipment, and throughout the disposal of surplus equipment, when applicable.
- Assists director in the development of the SNS Annual Bids, when applicable. Provides financial data as a part of bid package.
- Supports the IT Team for updating new food/supply pricing into the procurement software program.
- Assigns budget purchase order codes and validates chart of accounts.
- Keeps staff abreast of legislative updates that impact financial matters for the purpose of maintaining and improving the integrity of financial reporting.
- Maintains appropriate audit trails, e-filing and on-line postings of all financial services and activity as required and identified.
- Calculates annual and monthly staffing by school. Advises department head(s) of changes needed in staffing.
- Calculates meal, menu and à la carte food costs based on regulatory guidelines.
- Develops training materials for managers on profit and loss statements and staffing calculations.
- Forecasts costs of program enhancements and corresponding revenue increases
- Works collaboratively and provides direction to the SNS Finance Technician.
- Verifies monthly elementary and secondary deposits posted in Primero and the City of Alexandria for the SNS program.
- Input all department information into central accounting software where applicable.
- Supervise and research and verify monthly vendor statements, coordinating with vendors to reconcile statements.
- Supervise and monitor invoicing and payment information for services rendered.
- Provide oversight and supervision on maintenance of spreadsheets to track monthly rebates.
- Verify On-line payments balance to district deposits. Researching and determining reason for any discrepancies.
- Provide oversight regarding schools/warehouse inventories.
- Coordinate with DAC and auditors information needed for annual audit.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Director to assist in the smooth functioning of the department.