Principal - Elementary
The Principal, Elementary directs the development of the school vision and establishes and maintains the school philosophy and educational programs consistent with community characteristics and school division goals and practices. The Principal will be responsible for the opening of a new a school which includes the hiring of a staff, implementation of all school plans, working with facilities and technology departments on structural, equipment and furniture needs of the school. This job reports to the Executive Director of Elementary Instruction.
- Education: Master's degree in related field.
- Certificates & Licenses: Valid Virginia Department of Education license with an endorsement in Administration and Supervision, or eligibility to obtain one.
- Minimum of three years of successful experience as a teacher and/or administrator.
- Experience in elementary curriculum and instruction, including programs for special education (particularly inclusion models), ELL, talented and gifted, and compensatory education.
- A performance record that demonstrates high integrity, vision, innovation, enthusiasm and a strong commitment to diverse schools.
- Advises the administration on activities in the school for the submission of required reports and responds to administration's written and oral requests for information.
- Assures the proper evaluation of student progress and the effectiveness of the program to determine what practices or objectives to maintain or modify.
- Collaboratively develops and implements a school improvement plan in support of increased student success.
- Communicates with parents, employees and community to establish and maintain professional relationships.
- Communicates a clear vision of excellence and pursues that excellence in a manner that provides consistency with the goals of the school division.
- Coordinates and supervises all extracurricular programs to maintain high standards of student conduct and enforce discipline.
- Coordinates the daily operations to maintain the safety of the facility/office/departments and responsibly and efficiently manages fiscal and/or other resources.
- Cultivates and facilitates leadership development in staff members through the provision of leadership opportunities.
- Maintains the school philosophy and educational program in consistency with community characteristics and school division goals and practices and implements and enforces School Broad policies and regulations.
- Practices ethical standards appropriate to the profession to ethically resolve issues and promote a climate of collaboration and collegiality.
- Prepares the school budget and monitors the expenditure of funds, provides for adequate inventories of school property and for the security of and accountability for that property, and assumes responsibility for the safety, security and appearance of the school plant.
- Provides direction and support in accomplishing instructional, curricular, and/or program requirements.
- Reviews programs and services and assesses how they will meet the needs of students/employees/school division.
- Selects, instructs, supports and evaluates to retain quality instructional and support personnel.
- Selects, orients, assigns, supervises and evaluates staff to attain the objectives of the educational program.
- Uses problem solving techniques in identifying, analyzing, and resolving problems.
- Utilizes a variety of data sources to make informed decisions for enhancing student/employee/program performance.
- Works with the Human Resources Department to fully staff the new school which includes teachers, administrators, support staff, and non-certified staff.
- Collaborates with the facilities department in ensuring school is designed and equipped that ensures a quality learning environment for students and staff.
- Collaborates with the technology department to ensure that the school has the infrastructure, equipment, software, and hardware needed that supports the ACPS curriculum goals and objectives.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.