PLANNING DATA AND RESEARCH PROGRAM DIRECTOR
7 days left
- Full Time
The Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (COG) Department of Transportation Planning (DTP) is seeking a Planning Data and Research Program Director to provide strategic direction for the department’s planning data, research and technical services programs and lead a 10+ person team of professional staff in achieving goals in these work program areas.
The Planning Data and Research Program Director will:
- Serve as a strategic adviser to the DTP Director and the National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board (TPB) on regional growth and transportation issues.
- Make informative presentations on changing demographic, economic and travel trends to the TPB, other policy committees and technical committees involved in the region’s transportation planning process.
- Collaborate with COG’s Director of Community Planning and Services and the region’s Planning Directors on the development of COG Cooperative Forecasts of future population, household and employment growth.
- Direct and coordinate research efforts to improve the quality and usefulness of departmental planning and survey data to support enhanced transportation modeling and other strategic work program objectives
- Meet regularly with the DTP Director, other DTP program directors and managers on emerging planning data needs and issues.
- Meet with federal, state, local and regional transportation agency staff on their data and technical support needs and oversee the provision of technical assistance provided by DTP staff and consultants in response to these needs.
- Plan, direct and oversee the development of planning data and technical assistance work program activities and seek the funding to carry out these activities.
- Oversee the development and application of geographic information systems technology for transportation planning activities and data dissemination.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of regional planning principles and practices including the socio-economic implications of planning.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the use of data, technical methods and computer technology in planning activities.
- Knowledge of statistical methods, forecasting techniques and survey methodologies
- Knowledge of geographic information systems.
- Skill in applying information technology and technical methods to the analysis of transportation and land use planning issues.
- Skill in directing research and analysis programs and activities.
- Ability to secure cooperation of others in executing plans.
- Ability to speak and write effectively.
- Ability to present technical results in terms understandable to policy officials and staff.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in in Transportation Planning or related quantitative, technical, planning or management discipline and eight or more years of progressively responsible experience in the development, analysis and interpretation of demographic, economic, land use, transportation and spatially referenced data for use in transportation planning and/or related fields.
- At least three years supervisory/management experience in similar environment. Local government and/or nonprofit experience desirable.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered.
- Supervisory/Management Experience:
- This position is responsible for a team of 10 professional staff in carrying out major elements of work programs assigned to this unit. The Program Director performs daily supervisory responsibilities, performance management and will also be responsible for other similar supervisory duties including personnel, budgeting, contracts management and other administrative duties.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of this unit. Also, directly
- oversees the work of contract and temporary personnel. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing; hiring, training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Computer Knowledge and Skills
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook). Familiarity with statistical analysis packages; GIS System, database management, report generator; computer graphics, presentations and desktop publishing.
- Communication Skills
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Mathematical Skills
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
- Reasoning Ability
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To apply, please submit your cover letter, salary requirement, & resume to:
Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments
777 North Capitol Street, NE
Suite 300 - Attention: OHRM
Washington, DC 20002-4239 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit our website at: www.mwcog.org
An Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Apply for PLANNING DATA AND RESEARCH PROGRAM DIRECTOR
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly