Senior Director, Business Development
United Way Worldwide is the world’s largest privately-funded nonprofit. Our global mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities to advance the common good. United Way envisions a world in which all individuals and families develop and achieve their full potential through education, income stability, and healthy living. United Way employees possess the passion, expertise, and resources required to make great things happen–we invite you to be a part of the change–to Live United.
Reporting to the VP, Business Development, the Sr. Director, Business Development (“Sr. Director”) directly oversees United Ways International Donor Advised giving program and its Domestic Foundations and Grants team. The Sr. Director is responsible for developing and executing the overall strategy and has four direct reports with 10 total staff. You will be accountable for revenue generation, program marketing, relationship management and business development, volunteer recruitment and management, and staff management. The Sr. Director ensures that United Way has a top-quality International Donor Advised Giving (IDAG) and domestic grants program which attracts corporate, foundation and individual donors and ensures that donor needs are met; that grantees are responsive and properly counseled; that donors are offered information regarding projects of United Way Worldwide and member United Ways outside the US and grant resources are secured to United Way Worldwide identified priorities. Strong strategic leadership, sales and management skills are required.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
Revenue Generation and Program Marketing
- Accountable for establishing and achieving annual sales goals
-Increase revenue for the IDAG program by leading effective promotion and outreach efforts to corporations, foundation, individual donors - as well as local United Ways
-Increase revenue to United Way Worldwide and member United Ways inside & outside the US through successful promotional efforts to donors that secure grant resources
-Increase fee generation for United Way Worldwide
- Develop business plan to identify opportunities, products and services to build on success of IDAG and domestic grants to drive a broader engagement with donors
- Participate in domestic and international conferences/meetings, give presentations on IDAG Program, and visit prospective donors
- Work with marketing team and other functions around production of key materials
- Work closely with Corporate Relations team to meet customer needs and identify growth opportunities
- Collaborate with United Way functions including the international team to ensure member United Way project information is available to potential donors
- Work closely with regional IN VP’s and country locations around development of regional funds and impact funding opportunities
- Work cross-functionally with United Way Worldwide departments (e.g., Impact, IN, Policy, US Network) to develop United Way Worldwide “initiative” products to sell to targeted donors
- Work with local United Ways in engaging national/international donors based in their communities
Relationship Management and Business Development
- Build consultative relationships with key donors, key field relationships and potential donors as well as important grant beneficiaries
- Visit key donors and program brokers to hold annual strategic planning session
- Solicit feedback from donors & beneficiaries to measure satisfaction
- Partner with Corporate Relations, Impact, Policy, International, and US Network teams, international and domestic United Ways and other broker channels to identify and solicit new business opportunities
Volunteer Recruitment & Management
- Identify, recruit and manage key field leadership group to help define benefits and incentives for United Way engagement with IDAG
- Identify, recruit and manage volunteer advisory group (e.g., Board Development Committee) to help define and engage new business opportunities
- Supervise and develop Director, Domestic Grants, Sr. Manager, International Advisory, Sr. Manager, Compliance & Operations and a Sr. Associate
- Hire new team members
- Oversee ongoing training for staff and United Way members on program needs and requirements
- Responsible for managing daily work activities of team
- Responsible for effectively managing team financial resources and oversees related budget(s)
- Requires Bachelor's degree plus additional training related to responsibilities.
- Must have at least 10 years of prior relevant work experience.
- Previous people management and grants management experience highly desired as well as five years of experience in a leadership role.
- Advanced degree in economics, communications, international studies or similar experiential background would be valuable. Experience in working with international non-profits highly desirable.
- Must be able to manage processes of a complex, evolving program.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English required.
- Ability to communicate in other language(s) strongly encouraged.
- Highly organized and disciplined; able to set, manage and meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks with strict attention to detail.
- Demonstrates creativity, initiative and ability to work independently.
- Team player with ability to relate well to diverse populations while maintaining sensitivity in international settings.
- Ability to manage confidential data while maintaining critical stakeholder relationships.
- Experience in international business or nonprofit setting strongly preferred.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are enthusiastic about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 703-836-7100, ext. 428 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA; minutes from downtown Washington, DC. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: free parking and onsite gym; health, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; tuition assistance; paid time off; medical appointment leave; family sick leave; employee assistance program; monthly volunteer opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. Please apply via the online system. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.