Senior Director, Corporate Relations
United Way Worldwide is the world’s largest privately-funded nonprofit. Our global mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities to advance the common good. United Way envisions a world in which all individuals and families develop and achieve their full potential through education, income stability, and healthy living. United Way employees possess the passion, expertise, and resources required to make great things happen–we invite you to be a part of the change–to Live United.
As Senior Director, Corporate Relations (“Sr. Director”) you are one part strategic leader, one part expert fundraiser, and one part skilled relationship manager. The Sr. Director will report directly to the Vice President, Corporate Relations. You will be a member of a team dedicated to both securing $4.8 billion annually for United Way Worldwide’s nonprofit sector leadership work, and to building the capacity of the global network of 1,800 United Ways to better engage individual and corporate donors. The Sr. Director will oversee and manage a set number of Directors; representing more than $1 billion annually across a portfolio of nearly 100 global corporations.
You are responsible for the overall execution of strategic relationship management and revenue generation with customers of the Global Corporate Leadership (“GCL”) program, and others as assigned. You will provide corporate customers guidance and a set of solutions to create business value and continuously improve their company-wide involvement so both organizations can substantially impact communities in the US and globally.
As Sr. Director, you will be an integral part of the Corporate Relations Operating Group (“CROG”). Success in corporate relations and with CROG requires strong integration with matrixed solution teams. You will be a core member of corporate solution teams developing and delivering services, products and solutions to create business and social impact value with individual engagement, community impact, and reputation/ communications. You will need the ability to manage simultaneous multiple projects and influence cross-functional departmental colleagues, and you will be required to activate local United Ways in the US and across our International Network to execute strategic corporate partnerships. You are responsible for building relationships with C-Suite level executives across your portfolio, as well as priority-market United Ways, with a milepost of securing signed, multi-year Corporate Partnership Agreements.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Creative and flexible strategic planning – able to build and implement a sales plan and quickly adapt that plan as new opportunities and challenges emerge using advanced problem solving and process improvement
- Action oriented – able to move planning to action
- Relationship oriented – able to build relationships at all levels and leverage the diverse skills and personalities of your team, colleagues across the organization, and the United Way network to achieve departmental, organizational, and network-wide goals
- Customer focused – responsive to the needs and interests of a broad portfolio of Fortune 500 corporate donors
- Sales process and results oriented – focused on implementing proven sales processes and accountabilities to drive results in increasing donors and revenue
- Collaborative – communicates effectively with senior corporate leaders, local United Way CEOs and resource development leaders, and other constituencies to find areas of commonality and achieve shared goals
- Volunteer management – staff members of the GCL Advisory Council to better advance common goals; staff a member of the United Way Worldwide Development Committee
Donors and Revenue
- 10.33 million global donors
- $4.8 billion in global revenue
- $1 billion in Global Corporate Leadership (GCL) portfolio revenue
- Activating US network to execute corporate partnership agreements
- Activating United Way Worldwide functional leaders to meet customer needs
- 7+ years of experience in a similar leadership role; must include advance-level fundraising, sales or customer relationship management for Fortune 500 companies
- Previous experience with multiple United Ways and/or relevant corporate experience
- Previous experience managing staff
- 35-50% travel is expected
This highly visible position is critical to the organization’s overall success, therefore numerous qualifications and competencies must be considered. The individual should be experienced in the workings of a full service United Way(s) with an in depth knowledge of customer relationship management within Fortune 500 companies and or sales experience. International experience is a plus as well as a complete understanding of corporate social responsibility. Able to quickly grasp concepts and principles while performing and completing multiple tasks with multiple constituencies in a timely and highly professional manner. Experience in managing an offsite team, being flexible, focused and willing to work to achieve the bottom line. Creative in thought, able to work independently and with minimum supervision. This skilled negotiator will have proven successes in the areas of customer service, sales and corporate relations.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are enthusiastic about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 703-836-7100, ext. 428 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA; minutes from downtown Washington, DC. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: free parking and onsite gym; health, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; tuition assistance; paid time off; medical appointment leave; family sick leave; employee assistance program; monthly volunteer opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. Please apply via the online system. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.