Policy Research Intern
6 days left
- Full Time
About NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland:
NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland (NPCM), the state's largest grassroots pro-choice organization, has been working to protect choice for over 30 years.
Our mission is to develop and sustain a constituency that uses the political process to guarantee every Marylander the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive options, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion.
About the Policy Research Internship:
NPCM is seeking a Policy Research Intern to assist the director to explore the current state of reproductive rights in Maryland and identify ways to expand these rights. Issues may include:
- increasing comprehensive and accurate sex education in schools,
- improving access to quality sexual and reproductive healthcare for individuals of any gender identity or sexual orientation,
- expanding the number of school-based health clinics offering family planning and other sexual healthcare,
- improving implementation of Medicaid coverage of reproductive healthcare,
- preventing school push-out of pregnant and parenting students,
- increasing access to reproductive healthcare for youth in foster care,
- protecting the reproductive rights of detained or incarcerated individuals, and
- expanding overall access to abortion care.
- Conduct research on the status of current regulatory, policy, and legislative issues that may be limiting the reproductive health and rights of Marylanders,
- Assist in creating recommendations for regulatory and policy solutions to address these limitations,
- Assist in identifying initiatives to introduce this fall to implement these recommendations and possibly during the next state legislative session,
- Explore ways to increase our coalition building to more effectively address these issues, and
- Other tasks as needed, including assisting with volunteer and outreach events.
Qualified applicants will:
- Possess strong organizational/multi-tasking skills, attention to detail and have an ability to meet deadlines on time;
- Be a self-starter who is able to take initiative on individual projects;
- Be a strong writer, researcher, and editor; familiar with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and the Internet;
- Possess ability to work well independently and in cooperative decision-making settings;
- Have an interest and ability to engage in interactions with diverse populations;
- Support the full range of reproductive options for individuals including birth control, bearing healthy children, adoption, and safe, legal abortion;
- Have knowledge of Maryland state government, particularly the legislative process;
- Have experience living, working, or attending school in Maryland, (preferred, but not required);
- However, a sense of humor is definitely required.
- The intern will gain experience and skills in policy research.
- The intern will learn about pro-choice issues and advocacy.
- In addition to regular tasks, the intern will have opportunities to participate in communications, political, fundraising, and event planning work, and learn about non-profit management
Compensation: This internship is unpaid, but includes a $125 transportation stipend per month. If the intern's school offers credit for internships, NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland will work with the intern and the intern's school help the intern meet the requirements. (Ability to earn credit is not required.)
Some travel required; candidates must have reliable transportation. A minimum of 15-20 hours per week is required, 20-25 hours per week preferred. Scheduling is flexible based on applicant's availability. Much of internship activities will take place at our office in Silver Spring (Metro accessible) during office hours (9am-5pm, Mon-Fri). Occasional evenings and weekends required.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.